Monitor shuts off on restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Monitor shuts off on restart

My monitor comes up black on restart. The computer seems to restart although I cant see the screen.

On a total shut down there is no problem.

Also, I thought it was the video card because if I took the card out and re-seated it the monitor would come on so I tried another video card but the same thing happens.

What next?

It might help to have your system specs.

Also, when you "restart", do you use the restart button or the use the restart option in Windows?

Pent11 64 MB Win98.

II have problems if an install program wants to re-start or if I use the restart on the Start buton.

We're gonna need more info. motherboard, video card, monitor, etc...

Just a shot in the dark but I do seem to remember a problem with 9x and power management where the system would not wake up. It is somewhat different but it might be worth looking at your power management settings. Set it so nothing shuts itself off, then try a restart.

I'll try Power Mgt.

I gave the computer to a friend and don't have the particulars.

Thanks

I have no idea if that will work, as I said, it isn't the same as the other problem, but it could have a common cause. The only problem I've seen that was like the one you describe was caused by the monitor cable. Most monitors today will power off or go to stand-by if there is no signal. Upon reboot, there is a period of no signal and the monitor may power down if that time is long enough. The problem was that the monitor would not power back up once the POST had started. This was caused by a bad connection in the cable. You could however, hit the power button and the monitor would come on, so it may still be different from what you are seeing.

If possible run any kind of updates from windowsupdate.com and get the latest display drivers, etc if you don't have them.

No video signal on reboot

ok here is my issue, it is the same as the other guy maybe u guys can help. when i do a soft reboot, the computer seems to reboot as normal, i get all the right post beeps and everything, yet my monitor goes into standby, as if the video card was powered off. if i do a hard reboot, power switch or reset switch, no issues.

video card: apollo bloody monster 3 nvidia geforce fx5200 256 mb
mobo: gigabyte k8tv800
cpu: amd althon 64 3200+
latest bios.

any ideas?

Monitor goes to sleep upon restart

The symptoms I have seem identical.

This is my development computer: Old Dell pentium II. Linux Mandrake.

The monitor scrolls the start-up scripts, shows the Mandrake penguin (go figure) and then the screen goes blank. The light goes from green to amber. Sound familiar. I have tried everything, different monitor, different OS different BIOS settings (?).

This thread has been helpful. Thanks. Any new developments?

Is your computer hooked up to an extention cord or a long serge protector, it happended to me too but mine was on start up not restatrt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back