Montana's Frankensheep: Rancher spent years creating giant sheep hybrid for shooting preserves

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! In a case of a home (farm?) scientist who tried to play God, an 80-year-old Montana rancher has pleaded guilty to a near decade-long attempt at creating a giant sheep hybrid with the aim of selling the gargantuan animal so it could be hunted.

Arthur "Jack" Schubarth of Vaughn, Montana, is the owner and operator of Schubarth Ranch, which purchases, sells, and breeds "alternative livestock" such as mountain sheep, mountain goats and various ungulates. His main customers are captive hunting operations, aka shooting preserves or game ranches.

Having possibly watched one too many horror movies, Schubarth and at least five other individuals decided to try to create a much larger hybrid species of sheep between 2013 and 2021, the idea being that it would bring higher prices from the shooting preserves.

Possible Frankenstein fan Schubarth began his abominable quest by shipping parts of the largest sheep species in the world, Marco Polo argali (Ovis ammon polii), from Kyrgyzstan into the US, which he did without declaring the importation. The average male of the species can weigh more than 300 pounds, with horns stretching more than five feet in length – not the sort of thing you'd find at a petting zoo, basically.

Marco Polo argali are also protected internationally by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, domestically by the US Endangered Species Act, and are prohibited in the State of Montana to protect native sheep from disease and hybridization, writes the Department of Justice.

Ignoring the risk that he could create an ungodly monster that might destroy mankind, Schubarth sent the genetic material from the Marco Polo argalito a lab to create cloned embryos. Schubarth provided a deposit of $4,200 for the cloning in 2015 and received 165 cloned embryos on November 22, 2016.

The rancher then implanted the embryos in ewes on his ranch, resulting in a single, pure genetic male Marco Polo argali that he named "Montana Mountain King" or MMK.

MMK's semen was used to impregnate ewes of other species, all of which were prohibited in Montana, in the hope of creating larger, more valuable hybrids for hunting.

To sell these genetically confused sheep and move them in and out of the state, Schubarth forged veterinary inspection certificates. MMK semen was sold directly to sheep breeders in other states so they could start their own hybrid farms.

"In pursuit of this scheme, Schubarth violated international law and the Lacey Act, both of which protect the viability and health of native populations of animals," said Assistant Attorney General Todd Kim of the Justice Department's Environment and Natural Resources Division (ENRD).

For each felony count, Schubarth faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000, and three years of supervised release.

Permalink to story.

Realistically breeders are doing similar across the world. Based on the story, the only issues was he just did it with a rare animal and against a specific state law, with the accompanying fake declarations.

Another country would not have the same concerns. Selective (forced) breeding has been going on for hundreds of years. And the results have been truly outstanding. Similar to forced flora combinations like corn we all enjoy today.

The methods we use have modernised, but the concept is still the same.

Realistically breeders are doing similar across the world. Based on the story, the only issues was he just did it with a rare animal and against a specific state law, with the accompanying fake declarations.

Another country would not have the same concerns. Selective (forced) breeding has been going on for hundreds of years. And the results have been truly outstanding. Similar to forced flora combinations like corn we all enjoy today.

The methods we use have modernised, but the concept is still the same.
True but there have been devastating results in many instances. There's regulation for a reason...they're not doing it because it's fun. Try getting kudzu out of your yard or catching a green anole in FL these days. Those lizards were everywhere when I was a kid. I haven't seen one for decades because all of the freed "pets" have eaten them. But worst of all is something like Covid...a disease introduced into an environment that didn't evolve with it. You can't prevent every instance, just like you can't stop every murder, but you can have rules and punishments that improve the odds.

I haven't seen one for decades because all of the freed "pets" have eaten them. But worst of all is something like Covid...a disease introduced into an environment that didn't evolve with it.
The story is about selective breeding as was my response. You are talking about introduced existing species into new eco systems. A subject an Australian only knows too well with government bringing in species to control native pests and the introduced species becoming far worse than the original problem.

The story is about selective breeding as was my response. You are talking about introduced existing species into new eco systems. A subject an Australian only knows too well with government bringing in species to control native pests and the introduced species becoming far worse than the original problem.
Right, but it said a big reason these sheep were a no-no was that they were worried about the plight of native species. Like, you can't have a gerbil in CA. This was just a bigger no-no because it wasn't only an invasive species risk but also an endangered species that threatened other endangered species, so this dude crossed a lot of lines for his monster sheep. In for a penny in for a pound, I guess. Guess he was trying to do a Trump, betting the clock couldn't catch him before he croaked. Not all old white guys can be so lucky:)

Right, but it said a big reason these sheep were a no-no was that they were worried about the plight of native species.
Eh? Sheep aren't native to Montana; you realize that, right? Columbus brought the first sheep to the New World.

This was just a bigger no-no because it wasn't only an invasive species risk but also an endangered species that threatened other endangered species
You've misread the article badly. Marco Polo sheep aren't endangered in Kyrgyzstan where he imported these parts from, and the local sheep in Montana aren't endangered either. If anything, by importing Marco Polos into the US -- where they *are* threatened -- he would be helping to preserve them.

The real idiocy here is the usual enviro-zealot belief that species arriving or evolving in area with the assistance of man are "bad", whereas those arriving by any other means are "good" -- regardless of how destructive, baneful, or dangerous the species in question actually are.

True but there have been devastating results ... Try [catching a green anole in FL these days. Those lizards were everywhere when I was a kid. I haven't seen one for decades
Err, what? Green Anoles are considered "least concern" by the IUCN, and exist by the hundreds of millions across the southern East Coast -- including Florida. As for the idea that their disappearance would lead to "devastating results", well, that speaks for itself.

Eh? Sheep aren't native to Montana; you realize that, right? Columbus brought the first sheep to the New World.

You've misread the article badly. Marco Polo sheep aren't endangered in Kyrgyzstan where he imported these parts from, and the local sheep in Montana aren't endangered either. If anything, by importing Marco Polos into the US -- where they *are* threatened -- he would be helping to preserve them.

The real idiocy here is the usual enviro-zealot belief that species arriving or evolving in area with the assistance of man are "bad", whereas those arriving by any other means are "good" -- regardless of how destructive, baneful, or dangerous the species in question actually are.

Err, what? Green Anoles are considered "least concern" by the IUCN, and exist by the hundreds of millions across the southern East Coast -- including Florida. As for the idea that their disappearance would lead to "devastating results", well, that speaks for itself.
No, all natural != all good. And I'm just talking about an environmental change that was pretty dramatic that I personally observed. Things have to get pretty bad to make it onto the Endangered Species List and the East Coast is a huge area. And I'm telling you, in my area in FL, they are no more when they had been everywhere. Now there are scads of this new kind of horny brown lizard from Asia, btw that apparently eats anoles. Definitely not Covid devastating...except to the anoles. There's a good chance that Covid came from humans breaking the rules in the "wet" market. My point (which I poorly expressed) is: do you want just anybody making these decisions? Decisions that can have devastating outcomes. I don't. And I freely admit I know nothing on this specific problem but if there's a rule, follow it or get it changed or pay the well documented consequences of breaking it. The rules were made for a reason. And rules like this don't happen in the U.S. unless there is a reason. Have you seen the process for making these rules? It's a long cumbersome process in the U.S. with lots of public comment, so there's usually a good reason behind them, or there was. And sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but I don't think we should stop trying to find the sweet spot of regulation.

My point (which I poorly expressed) is: do you want just anybody making these decisions?
"Just anyone" has been making these decisions for the last 3,000 years of human history. It's worked pretty well so far. I remind you that, under the original definition of "species" -- before the enviro-zealots became involved -- all this man did was breed together two sheep of the same species. If these biologists applied the same standards to us as they did other animals, there'd be more than 1,000 species of humans, and every time two domesticated dogs of different breeds mated, they'd be creating a new "Franken-species".

"Marco Polo argali are also protected internationally by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, domestically by the US Endangered Species Act"

Hmmm.......not endangered yet endangered? Me thinks you don't know what you're talking about

Hmmm.......not endangered yet endangered? Me thinks you don't know what you're talking about
Methinks you're wrong once again. World wide, Marco Polo sheep are in the IUCN "Near Threatened" category, one step above "Vulnerable", and two steps above actually "endangered".

Furthermore, the man involved in this case didn't import a live sheep from Kyrgyzstan. Someone else, years earlier, imported parts of the remains of a dead sheep, which this man used to clone a live one. That seems to be the very definition of helping to conserve a species -- except in the bass-ackwards thinking of the enviro-zealots.

"Just anyone" has been making these decisions for the last 3,000 years of human history. It's worked pretty well so far. I remind you that, under the original definition of "species" -- before the enviro-zealots became involved -- all this man did was breed together two sheep of the same species. If these biologists applied the same standards to us as they did other animals, there'd be more than 1,000 species of humans, and every time two domesticated dogs of different breeds mated, they'd be creating a new "Franken-species".
So you're a libertarian, I, most definitely, am not. I know other people know better than I do in a lot of areas, and I'm willing to delegate that decision-making so I don't have to spend my time on boring things like sheep and game farms. And I know there are smart people as well as dumb-asses in every area and I want to put constraints on the dumb-asses at the expense of my freedom to be a dumb-*** (I actually look at this as a feature). However, should I suddenly want to become an expert on sheep, or I want to bring back mastodons, I want a government where I have the opportunity to be heard and have the opportunity to convince other people I'm right. Balance, it's hard but it's what we should strive for.

AR Minecraft RTX on

images

Back