More people started using Windows 7 last month

midian182

Staff member
In brief: It seems that no matter how hard Microsoft tries, a lot of people are unwilling to move away from Windows 7. In the latest figures from Netmarketshare, the aging OS actually saw a tiny bit of growth last month.

A few weeks ago, the analytics company revealed that Windows 10’s market share was up 1.08 percent in December while Windows 7 fell 1.99 percent, meaning the latest version of Microsoft's operating system had finally become the world’s most popular desktop OS.

For the month of January, Windows 10 saw its numbers go up again, breaking the 40 percent mark for the first time as it reached a 40.9 percent market share. But what’s surprising is that Windows 7 also saw an increase in users; its share jumped 0.29 percent, according to the report.

With Windows XP shrinking to 2.76 percent from 4.54 percent and Windows 8/8.1 also showing a very small decline, it appears not all users of these ancient operating systems are jumping straight to Windows 10.

What’s especially interesting about Windows 7’s increase, assuming it’s accurate, is that the platform recently entered its last 12 months of extended support, so unless you’re a business willing to pay for them, there will be no more security updates after January 14, 2020.

In all likelihood, more people will abandon Windows 7 this year as the end of the extended support phase gets closer. Right now, however, fans of the ten-year-old platform, and haters of Windows 10, are determined to hang on.

Permalink to story.

Interesting , is this users digging in for the coming windows 10 war or is this just users getting ready for redmond's next ploy ?
in my opinion, msft has stated that under no circumstance will they allow another xp snafu,so does this mean they will hit the kill switch? do they capitulate ? or do they start charging to keep 7 afloat?
stay tuned ,it's gonna be a wild ride for the next 12 months

As mentioned before, all MS has to do is sell the only release stable and decr*pified version of W10 (Enterprise LTSB with no Cortana, no Edge, near zero Telemetry, no "feature" updates, full Group Policy Control, minimalist clutter, etc) as W10 Ultimate to consumers and give it the same "proper offline OS" feel as W7 without "Software As A Service" BS and most people would have made the jump 3 years ago...

I keep hearing people make excuses for windows, saying Well, Windows 10 isn't bad. I guess that's just not so true after all. Who wants an OS that needs so many security patches? That should tell you something, that the design is inherently vulnerable. Time to scrap it and restart using the Unix kernel, like Chrome.

Interesting , is this users digging in for the coming windows 10 war or is this just users getting ready for redmond's next ploy ?
in my opinion, msft has stated that under no circumstance will they allow another xp snafu,so does this mean they will hit the kill switch? do they capitulate ? or do they start charging to keep 7 afloat?
stay tuned ,it's gonna be a wild ride for the next 12 months

Charge a subscription fee for updates to 7 and let the markets work.

I keep hearing people make excuses for windows, saying Well, Windows 10 isn't bad. I guess that's just not so true after all. Who wants an OS that needs so many security patches? That should tell you something, that the design is inherently vulnerable. Time to scrap it and restart using the Unix kernel, like Chrome.
Code is never perfect. However, Windows 10 is built on 30 years of crusty spaghetti code that will never be completely unraveled, as too many unexpected breakages occur when they try, which then require more patches and more surprise issues. Unless MS comes out with a completely fresh OS, perhaps with a Windows compatibility add on, like WINE, for those that have to run old programs, it seems that Windows 10 will continue to get buggier over time, in spite of MS's assurances that it's simply wonderful and the next version will fix everything. It never does.

It's a shame for me personally because I have a system that cannot run Windows 10 despite meeting the basic requirements.

I recently acquired a 2010 era Asus gaming laptop from a friend. It runs Windows 7 just fine, but unfortunately, Asus has not updated the vendor specific Radeon drivers since 2010. You'd think I could use the generic AMD Crimson or Catalyst drivers for the device, but they aren't compatible with each other and cause blue screens.

The solution? Go back to Windows 7 with working drivers or use Windows 10 without any Radeon graphics drivers. Obviously the last option is unacceptable for a gaming system, so I have to stick Windows 7 and the laptop's vendor specific drivers.

Go back to Windows 7 with working drivers or use Windows 10 without any Radeon graphics drivers.
Did you really expect AMD to support a nine year old graphics card? If you asked AMD they'd probably laugh at you.

It's a shame for me personally because I have a system that cannot run Windows 10 despite meeting the basic requirements.

I recently acquired a 2010 era Asus gaming laptop from a friend. It runs Windows 7 just fine, but unfortunately, Asus has not updated the vendor specific Radeon drivers since 2010. You'd think I could use the generic AMD Crimson or Catalyst drivers for the device, but they aren't compatible with each other and cause blue screens.

Unfortunately the OEM is responsible for updating graphics drivers as laptops are typically custom solutions. This is the way Nvidia and AMD have had to do mobile for a long time now. Although it won't affect you, AMD did recently announce that it is working with OEMs to improve the amount of driver updates there will be for laptops using Radeon products.
The solution? Go back to Windows 7 with working drivers or use Windows 10 without any Radeon graphics drivers. Obviously the last option is unacceptable for a gaming system, so I have to stick Windows 7 and the laptop's vendor specific drivers.

- better mouse input with correct translation
- 0 accel
- lower ram usage
- better performance in games even after tweaking win10
- less background services
- lower latency for music production
- better cpu thread allocation (hyper threading etc)

Win 7 > win10, minus dx12 support wich win7 lacks

Yes but what are you going to do when Windows 7 support is pulled in one year? Oh yeah... Windows 10.

That's my dilema. I have a 2500K and a MSI Board that doesn't support Win10. I installed Win10 and I only had access to the 2x SATA III ports and the 4x SATA II ports were a no go. I have 5 HDD on my machine so that leaves me with no choice but to stick with Win7. It's stupid and it sucks because I am willing to go Win10, hell I work and support Win10 as an Analyst, yet my board doesn't support Win10 even with Win8 drivers installed. Another co-worker of mine just so happens to have the same combo CPU+MOBO as I do and he doesn't have this issue but I can't get mine to function like his.

As mentioned before, all MS has to do is sell the only release stable and decr*pified version of W10 (Enterprise LTSB with no Cortana, no Edge, near zero Telemetry, no "feature" updates, full Group Policy Control, minimalist clutter, etc) as W10 Ultimate to consumers and give it the same "proper offline OS" feel as W7 without "Software As A Service" BS and most people would have made the jump 3 years ago...

I couldnt agree more. I just started using LTSB at home and I couldn't be happier.
When will they realise that one size does not fit all...

Another co-worker of mine just so happens to have the same combo CPU+MOBO as I do and he doesn't have this issue but I can't get mine to function like his.
I also have a 2600K and an MSI motherboard running on Windows 10. I don't have as many drives, but I am using four of the SATA ports*.

*SSD, HDD, BDR, and a SATA drive dock on the top of the case

Yeah, I'll get right on that :D
You do realize that as Windows 10 continues to be patched, those same patches will be reverse engineered by the "bad guys" and then used against Windows 7. Think Sasser, Code Red, etc. but on a much, much larger... scarier scale. Windows 7 will become a hacker's paradise. All those Windows 7 systems... ripe to be hacked, exploited, etc. If you thought DDoS attacks were bad now? Just wait. Botnets... as large as the Internet itself.

Either upgrade to Windows 10 now, or kiss any semblance of security goodbye. That or go to Linux... in fact, please go to Linux; you'll be safer there than under Windows 7.

Yeah, that's not how statistics works. An increase in market share doesn't necessarily mean an increase in absolute numbers (of users in this case), unless the market has also expanded or at least stayed level. Which we have no proof for in this case.

Instead the most logical explanation for the observed data would be that a lot of new machines running Windows 10 were activated during the holiday season, which caused an apparent increase of number of machines running Windows 10. But since the PCs and laptops getting replaced by these new devices were not present in the January data anymore, the total size of the sample has shrunken, making the steady Windows 7 base gain in apparent market share.

I started my windows journey in the early 1990's with 3.0
Like most on this forum, it instilled in me the pc hobbyist bug

Now in my early 40's I just lot interest in the constant battle with drivers, endless updates, UI changes etc.

Switched to macOS (MacBooks) over the last several years and settled in nicely to the eco-system.

Windows is still ever prevalent in my work environment, however working remotely, macOS suits me just fine for both work and play

I started my windows journey in the early 1990's with 3.0
Like most on this forum, it instilled in me the pc hobbyist bug

Now in my early 40's I just lot interest in the constant battle with drivers, endless updates, UI changes etc.

Switched to macOS (MacBooks) over the last several years and settled in nicely to the eco-system.

Windows is still ever prevalent in my work environment, however working remotely, macOS suits me just fine for both work and play

macOS is way superior to Windows 10. Most people still use Windows because it is available on much cheaper systems and it runs every game. But that´s apple fault for not making low budget systems aswell, then things would change.

That's my dilema. I have a 2500K and a MSI Board that doesn't support Win10. I installed Win10 and I only had access to the 2x SATA III ports and the 4x SATA II ports were a no go. I have 5 HDD on my machine so that leaves me with no choice but to stick with Win7. It's stupid and it sucks because I am willing to go Win10, hell I work and support Win10 as an Analyst, yet my board doesn't support Win10 even with Win8 drivers installed. Another co-worker of mine just so happens to have the same combo CPU+MOBO as I do and he doesn't have this issue but I can't get mine to function like his.

Check for BIOS update on manufacture's website.

What a bunch of nonsense am reading. You guys full of it. Windows 10 is perfectly fine and working great. Wanna be hip and use win7, go ahead, but don’t bull others claiming it’s better because it’s not.

Back