Motherboard light is on and PC does not boot PS fan is not working. HELP:hotouch:!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen that you guys help out on this forum and decided to join the community and ask for your advice. I am running out of ideas of what to do. I will try to give as much details as I can. I am trying to build a pc from parts that are either new or used and were taken from working systems. The components I started out with was a working P4T motherboard, a working CPU P4 1.0 – 2.0 Unlocked, working two 256 chips and two 512 chips. What happens is that when I plug in the parts the motherboard light is on but the PS fans are off although I hear the capacitors switch on. I have switched the power supply at least 4 times. I have switched the power supply cable 3 times. I tried different outlet, I have switched the P4T motherboard. (In all I have three of them.) In all the cases the light is on but no power to fan or anything else I plugged in to test it. For some strange reason the fans worked before I places the motherboard in the case, after it did not. Also when I took all the power supplies and tried plug in them separately and attaching a fan to them none powered on. So the complete picture is that the motherboards and power supplies worked before the swapping and after only green light is on an all the motherboards tested and all the power supplies fan does not spin when plugged in individually with nothing connected. Any help advice is welcomed and appreciated.

You say you are using two 256 chips and two 512 chips. Are you referring to the ram?

That could be the problem right there.

As a test, try booting up with just ONE stick of ram.

i tried one stick no sticks two sticks, four sticks. I have just took one of the other boards and plugged in power. The PS fan spinned and i heard beeps. I then proceeded to add the cpu with the same result. I than added a geforce 4 video card (AGP) and the PS fan stopped spinning. I took out the video card and dead silence ones again. I have a feeling that the PS is going into a some sort of protective mode, can that be? thats why all the PSUs are not starting because of the same reason. Is there a way to reset the PS on demand?? thank you

If you haven't already, try resetting CMOS.

And the stupid question of the day (but has to be asked), you ARE using the riser pins when you install your motherboard into the case right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back