Motherboard upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

daylightdrifter

Hey all!

I'm looking to upgrade by motherboard and possibly processor and figured I'd ask some advice from the pros. I've changed a mobo and processor before so I'm going to do it myself.

Here are my current specs:

AMD 3800+ X2 Duo processor (I'm hoping to upgrade when I get a new MB)
2GB DDR2 667ghz PC5300 RAM (I had 3GB but I just took 1G out to put in another PC)
Asus EN8800GT
Foxconn MCP61VM2MA-RS2H motherboard
250GB Hardrive
Antec 500W Power Supply with PCIe connector

I don't want a super comp, just something that can play game at a decent speed and do average home office stuff. My reason for upgrading is due to the fact that the current motherboard's PCIex16 is only running at X1 and that's limiting performance for my 8800gt (I noticed the difference by going to my friends house who has almost the same setup as me with a different mobo and company of heroes ran like silk whereas on my system it barely runs on high settings).

Would it be worth it to upgrade my processor as well? The AMD 4800+ X2 is in my price range, but is it really that much better than my current 3800+ x2?

Should I grab a Socket AM2+? Or just a Socket AM2 motherboard?

Thanks in advance guys. These forum are really a godsend.

You could go two ways,

Intel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131275

You will need to pair this with a new processor. Core 2 Duo recommended.

AMD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131022

The AMD setup will cost you less and still preform nicely. I would go for AMD setup regarding your current position. The M2N-E has served me well for the last year or so that I've had it so I would recommend that for its price range. Pair it up with a Athlon 64 X2 processor when your ready and you should be good to go.

Thanks! I'll check that one out and see if my local comp shop carries it or can order it in.

Would you recommend upgrading my AMD 3800+ X2 Duo to a AMD 4800+ X2 Duo? Would there be a significant difference to justify the cost and upgrade?

Thanks again.

If you aren't satisfied with the performance after you get the mobo I would recommend that you do get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+. Good luck ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back