Motherboard waterspill.. help

Hello, I have an asus sabertooth x58 mobo, and yesterday I spilled quite a bit of water into my desktop through the top 2 fans (the fans evenly distributed the water.... :( )

I let it dry out a day and today I tried to start the computer up but there's no response from the power on switch.

I jumped the psu with the paper clip and it turned on fine, so I am guessing its the motherboard that is fried.

But, when I connect the 24 pin to the mobo around the green light on my motherboard (which is next to the LED power switch, front LED power..etc) makes this high pitch noise.

Is it possible only the part that sends power to the front power switch thats damaged, and is there a way to fix it?

please help..

I'd put the board in your oven at the lowest setting. Hopefully it has one under 200 F, mine has a 170 F setting. Let it bake at just under or at 200 for an hour or two. Make sure you disconnect everything, including the RAM and processor. You can probably bake the RAM fine, and likely the processor too, but I'd be more cautious on the processor. If your oven can go to 170 or 180 F I'd feel much more comfortable with the processor than at 200 - although I'm not sure why :)

Really doubt a simple switch is what went bad when wet.

Hello, I have an asus sabertooth x58 mobo, and yesterday I spilled quite a bit of water into my desktop through the top 2 fans (the fans evenly distributed the water.... :( )

I let it dry out a day and today I tried to start the computer up but there's no response from the power on switch.

I jumped the psu with the paper clip and it turned on fine, so I am guessing its the motherboard that is fried.

But, when I connect the 24 pin to the mobo around the green light on my motherboard (which is next to the LED power switch, front LED power..etc) makes this high pitch noise.

Is it possible only the part that sends power to the front power switch thats damaged, and is there a way to fix it?

please help..

You don't try to turn on an electric device after it has been exposed to water. You might have fried the mobo but if you're lucky, something else might have happened. Use a multimeter to check for signs of life. Take it to a technician if you're not experience enough

Dry it out properly and it should be fine.
The high pitched whine will probably be the PSU going into protect mode due to detecting a short when you plug it into the motherboard.

Back