Motorola Moto G (2014) Review: Still the Budget Phone to Beat

Scorpus

Staff member

motorola moto review budget phone beat android motorola smartphone moto g

It seems like not all that long ago I was reviewing the first-generation Moto G, a fantastic Android smartphone that cost just $179 unlocked and outright. It was Motorola’s first major push into the entry-level market under the guidance of Google, and it was a successful one: the Motorola Moto G went on to become the company's best-selling smartphone of all time.

Ten months out from the launch of the original Moto G, Motorola has unveiled a second-generation model alongside a new Moto X and the Moto 360 smartwatch. Price is identical to the first, at $179 for a model with 8 GB of storage, and a new microSD slot finally makes the phone's storage expandable. The display size has also increased from 4.5-inches to 5.0-inches with the same 720p resolution, the camera has been bumped up to eight megapixels from just five, and there are now dual front facing speakers.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should have had a better cpu+gpu combo (1.5-1.6GHz) at that price range. hopefully it will sell under 150$ after some price cuts, especially if it wants to compete with other cheap smartphones. the 5inch screen size is really nice and the camera looks ok too.

If it had a better battery and LTE support I would change my current moto g at once, besides the larger screen I don't see any reason for upgrading

If it had a better battery and LTE support I would change my current moto g at once, besides the larger screen I don't see any reason for upgrading

It's hard to find a reason to upgrade from a year-old phone these days. Most phones from late 2013 still do the job more than adequately

Moto has been doing great with phones lately... at least until the Nexus 6. Their Moto E, G, and X phones have gotten great reviews.

Lack of LTE is just a dumbfounded move... It would have been better for the US market to sell this with LTE at the $219 price point.

Writing this comment from the original 16gb Moto G, brilliant phone :)

Back