Mounting your PS5 vertically might lead to catastrophic failure from liquid metal leakage

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
PSA: Stop what you are doing and go turn your PlayStation 5 on its side. It's been discovered that the liquid metal used for cooling can potentially leak and fry the motherboard. There have only been a handful of cases reported, so should you take the chance, or is there not enough evidence for this to become a real problem?

The PlayStation 5 is vastly different than any other PlayStation to date. It's white, which we haven't seen since the miniaturized PS one, and of course, it's much more powerful. It is also comparatively colossal in size. But one thing has remained consistent since the PS2. Users can orient it horizontally or vertically — or so they were told.

Sony's stand that comes in the package and their marketing materials display the PS5 in both orientations, so it's more than safe to assume either mounting position is acceptable. The console is so large that the most practical position, for me at least, is vertical. I know I'm not alone, too.

A quick Google image search shows that most images posted to the internet have the behemoth in its towered position. So it may shock many users that this may be the risky way to orient your PS5...

A console repair tech who goes by the YouTube handle TheCod3r posted a video (above) last September showing a PlayStation 5 he received for repair. The console would not power on, so he opened it up, removed the motherboard, and checked each component to see how the voltage was flowing.

He was getting bad readings, but physically, everything looked fine. He decided to pull up the shroud around the APU (accelerated processing unit) to check for damage, and that's where he found liquid metal had leaked from its enclosure and shorted the contacts on the bottom (relative to vertical orientation) of the APU.

At that time, it seemed like an isolated incident. TheCod3r had not seen a case like this before, and neither had anyone else. However, since then, at least one other instance of a leaking APU has been reported.

TheCod3r calls it a major faux pas by Sony's design team. It would seem that when mounted vertically, the indium/gallium alloy between the APU and the heatsink, which remains liquid at room temperature, can dribble out over time due to gravity pulling it all to one side of the housing. Horizontally mounting the console alleviates this issue since the liquid metal is allowed to rest uniformly across the APU.

It's fair to point out that this is not the first time vertical orientation has caused problems for PlayStation users. Somewhere around mid-lifecycle, the PlayStation 2 began exhibiting disk-read errors. The problem was related to users having their PS2s set upright — again, something Sony said it was designed to do.

Unfortunately, the vertical orientation caused the CD laser head to shift out of alignment. However, the DIY fix was as simple as opening the housing and readjusting the CD head, which just about anybody not afraid to open their console could do. As for the PS5's problem, fixing the APU is not a DIY project for the weekend unless you are a trained professional and can access the parts.

Sony has not officially acknowledged the flaw yet. The company heavily marketed the PS5 in its vertical position, even as shown on the packaging (above). They also included a stand since the PS5 does not have a flat side and it uses the separate stand to facilitate horizontal or upright mounting (a first). One could reasonably expect Sony to offer free repairs to out-of-warranty users over such a fiasco, but don't hold your breath. Since the failure can ruin the motherboard, it's likely to be a full replacement situation. If it were a car, this would require a full recall.

The good news is that as long as your PlayStation 5 is in good working order right now, you should be safe. However, we'd like to at least acknowledge the potential issue and maybe decide to reorient your PS5 to horizontal as soon as possible, no matter how inconvenient that may be.

Image credit: Trusted Reviews

Permalink to story.

It's always better to have these things horizontal, at least until they change the design philosophy. They always market it vertically so I don't blame people, Sony should be forced to market it horizontally.

If this was really a major issue you'd think with 30 million units sold there would be more than two reported cases by now. It's hard to tell if that might not just be too much thermal compound applied perhaps, or when the guy removes the motherboard from the heatsink maybe it spills out, unfortunately the video cuts just when he's about to do this and suddenly the board is right side up, sabotage for the sake of viewership/ratings?

Also would this not be an issue for the PC market as thermal grizzly sells what I would think a similar indium/gallium alloy for the use with CPU/GPU cooling and appears to say nothing about vertical mounting which is often the case for at least the CPU if not also GPU if using a vertical mounting system.

If this was really a major issue you'd think with 30 million units sold there would be more than two reported cases by now. It's hard to tell if that might not just be too much thermal compound applied perhaps, or when the guy removes the motherboard from the heatsink maybe it spills out, unfortunately the video cuts just when he's about to do this and suddenly the board is right side up, sabotage for the sake of viewership/ratings?

Also would this not be an issue for the PC market as thermal grizzly sells what I would think a similar indium/gallium alloy for the use with CPU/GPU cooling and appears to say nothing about vertical mounting which is often the case for at least the CPU if not also GPU if using a vertical mounting system.

I'm afraid the OP wasn't that critical about his "findings". Wonder what the TS editor was doing either.

I've seen an opinion that critical thinking is pretty rare thing in the population, still.

Really? One of your first assumptions is that it's faked? Have you been around console's over the past generations? RROD? The laser shift mentioned in the article?

It's certainly a possibility that Sony's engineering isn't up to par for long-term use. Remember that the console was rushed to market (the extra M.2 SSD wasn't even useable until more than a year after launch).
And of course it's also possible it's not a widespread issue and that some people got a lemon.

I certainly wouldn't mind some noise being made so tech people can verify (instead of foolishly assuming it's fake).

Also, for your PC, they always say to coat the components around the LM "just in case" lol

This is speculated more to do with those third party repair service making improper vacuum seals after they open up their clients' ps5 than a widespread issue as we would have known it much more by now if it was a manufacturing defect after two years and 30M units sold.

Have you ever seen a PlayStation owner make any big deals about their consoles' shortcomings??

Even at 30 million units sold, PlayStation fans are like Republicans, they would never admit any issues even if it cost them dearly.
Yeah because PS3 didn't get **** on to high heavens and sold way worse than PS2. Why even bother with these hyperbole comments detached to reality?

Oh, no, just not the liquid metal. I still remember that scene from Terminator 3 when Kristanna Loken's liquid metal started leaking. Poor girl.

It seems cooling solutions have become too exotic and complex. It's time for that power draw to come down, it can't go up any more.

Lots of people mess up Liquid Metal application and ruin pc’s. The thing is, thermal grizzly is not responsible for you messing up, while Sony is responsible for Sony messing up. If you look at any marketing around Liquid Metal in the diy space there is a lot of cautioning about the product, and, having used it on both laptop and desktop, I don’t really see the point, as the stuff is SUPER finicky. Get a really good paste. Hell I’d recommend lapping your cpu over Liquid Metal, that operation is fairly easy to do well (not an option for gpu or laptop ofc). I’ve used it, I don’t like it. Pretty much how I feel about custom water cooling as well. Both are just products way beyond the point of diminishing return.

Have you ever seen a PlayStation owner make any big deals about their consoles' shortcomings??

Even at 30 million units sold, PlayStation fans are like Republicans, they would never admit any issues even if it cost them dearly.
so I guess xbox users are the democrats who invest everything into bad ideas and when it fails they pretend like nothing happened?

When I first saw this video, I got a bit worried. But as I was watching, I can't help but feel that it is kind of staged. This finding was a "surprised" to the person who discovered it. However, (1) I don't think any repair person will video all their repair process, at least in my opinion, not narrate in this manner like he is deliberately making a video. (2) It seems like he randomly decided to check under the seal when he was planning to replace the RAM, which feels quite odd. (3) With the liquid metal spilling out, I am surprised that nothing was fried, and the removal of the liquid metal resulted in the PS5 working perfectly.

So personally, something don't smell right to me after I think about it. I guess time will tell if this is indeed an issue, or is this something to try and trigger people to send in their out of warranty PS5 for a checkup to make sure this issue is not occurring on their console.

Sony and AMD should be more careful in designing the SOC. This "duct tape" approach instead of resin insulation/encapsulation of capacitors around SOC. Also looks like the amount of liquid metal is more than recommended. Car manufacturer and other figured this out decades ago for "moisture" and electronics.
Even Thermal Grizzly has a insulator for this.

img

Overpriced nail polish to me :)

Sony and AMD should be more careful in designing the SOC. This "duct tape" approach instead of resin insulation/encapsulation of capacitors around SOC. Also looks like the amount of liquid metal is more than recommended. Car manufacturer and other figured this out decades ago for "moisture" and electronics.
Even Thermal Grizzly has a insulator for this.

img

Overpriced nail polish to me :)
Literally just applied that stuff around a 4090. It is just red nail varnish but it works!

It does sound like Sony is applying too much liquid metal, I've never had it leak or drip off ever and I've delided CPU's and applied it on several GPU's. Even applied it to my PS4 Pro with zero issues.

I do find applying a small amount of it to the die, then attach the cooler, then apply a little on the cooler works the best, when the cooler is attached they sorta suck together.

This is speculated more to do with those third party repair service making improper vacuum seals after they open up their clients' ps5 than a widespread issue as we would have known it much more by now if it was a manufacturing defect after two years and 30M units sold.

Yeah because PS3 didn't get **** on to high heavens and sold way worse than PS2. Why even bother with these hyperbole comments detached to reality?
The PS3 didn't get s** on by the blind Sony fans, but by the media, if anything all we kept hearing from them was "wait till next year and see how much better PS3 becomes"...there's actually a Baby meme about it all over the internet.

so I guess xbox users are the democrats who invest everything into bad ideas and when it fails they pretend like nothing happened?
If Xbox invest in bad ideas so why is Sony fighting Microsoft for those investments talking to regulators?

I guess Sony wishes they had those bad investments after all.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'll never understand the hype around Mark Cerny. The PS4's cooling sucked, and clearly, the PS5's suck too. I said this as someone who owned (and listened to) both the PS4 and the PS5.

I mean, console designers' current task is to pick a bunch of existing components off the shelf, and put them into a plastic case without making said components overheat.

This is a classic case of "you had one job".

Last edited:
Seems to me the issue was fixed by cleaning away the liquid metal and applying conformal compound to the surrounding package components. That's bad, but it didn't brick the console. It means Sony could potentially repair affected units. Given the number of affected consoles reported, it's seems this might be blown out of proportion, but would like to see some official response by Sony.

The fact that the liquid metal compound has leaked under the thermal tape onto the package components surrounding the heat spreader seems to be the core issue here. That's the primary purpose of that tape.

As the heat spreader sits a millimetre or so above the surrounding structure where the package components are seated, I don't see how turning the console horizontal will make any difference. If pressure between the heat spreader and cooler backplate is forcing that much liquid metal out, and the thermal tape is not making contact with the surrounding edge of the heat spreader, that liquid metal (which is way less viscous than thermal compound) will make its way downward one way or another.

The key issue here is the tape - if it's not doing it's job than horizontal orientation may not be a preventative measure either (upside down maybe?).

I agree that Sony ought to have applied conformal coating in this instance.

"If there was any other way I would have done it"

A good quality non conductive thermal paste?
Dude, do a little documentation before you post comments about things you dont know, it will do you good. The thermal paste is not good for PS5 because it overheats. There is at least one video on YT testing this(I think is TronicFix).
There is a reason Sony put liquid metal for cooling - the PS5 produce way to more heat and only liquid metal is efficient enough to cool it.

My PS5 is literally behind my gaming monitor and I'm not going to move without more evidence that this is an actual issue.
Did you watched the video? Also, it make logical sense that liquid metal might leak since it is liquid and at high temps and with gravity pulling it down, there are some chances that it will begin to leak down, and after a while to reach those small components.

Pretty much how I feel about custom water cooling as well. Both are just products way beyond the point of diminishing return.

Why custom loop is? There is no easy alternative to cooling capacity over triple fans & a sufficient amount of liquid to absorb any temp spike. Full cover GPU blocks/CPU monoblocks also make a huge difference on VRAM, VRM, etc. (Even GPU AIOs are rarely anywhere close) For multi GPU workstations it's also often a requirement.

And that's just from performance not aesthetics perspective.

Last edited:
Back