mouse and keyboard freeze in XP dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozart

I would like some help, I get a freeze in XP during operation the mouse and keyboard won't respond ctrl alt delete no response . Should be hardware problem but windows 98 on the dual boot is excellent. Not a virus this started before first
log on to the net. Windows fully updated included hardware check. The application and system log show nothing. I turned off a special tweak in win 98 to use all memory before the swap file and the freeze went away for about 5 days now its back any ideas ?

Was that W98 tweak something that altered the BIOS perhaps?
Does it happen from a cold-start direct into XP?
Or only after you were in W98 and rebooted into XP?

xp dual boot freeze continued

The freeze happens on an XP boot only or a reboot from win 98 . The tweak is now turned off and the freezing is reduced greatly but still happens on a rare occassion . It must have had an effect on the bios indirectly . This is a selected tweak from U.I. Interface a free download tool that is usually quite good, but I can,t discribe how it actually worked. But it is now off.

Thanks Mozart (from Canada )

xp dual boot freeze

Hi mozart again

The freeze is worse then ever in xp , now its happening almost all the time, when the freeze happens the mouse curser usually disappears . Please note that win 98 on the dual boot is still perfect. What I noticed is strange is that if you open the task manager and let it run minimized the system won,t freeze . I tried seeing what a freezse would show in task manager What do you think of this ?.

motherboard pc chips amptron 1600+ xp
ram 256 with 32 shared for video
20 gb hard drive c,d,e, for win 98
80 gb harddrive F.G.H.I.J. for win xp
mouse is microsoft wireless intellimouse explorer 2 using its drivers in xp
and drivers 3.0 to run in 98 ( this mouse is not supposed to run in 98
keyboard is very standard
all service packs xp and 98 up to date
anti virus both and firewall in xp zonelabs

I would say UNinstall the XP Intellipoint drivers. The native drivers from XP for a USB/PS2 mouse are pretty good.
Or get the latest Intellipoint drivers, (but they ARE bloatware!).
Check the Mouse-support settings in your BIOS.
Another BIOS problem might be caused by the fact that PnP-OS should be switched ON for W98, but OFF for anything higher. Play around with that.

thanks realblackstuff for dual boot problem advice

I loaded the mouse as ubs but it didn,t help but Ii finally got a crash with the task manager screen up 27 processes were running so I checked them all on the net I had Khooker exe runing from my videocard SIS and turned it permenently off as problems of freezing were reported,.and a great problem with wuauclt.exe which is for auto update even though I asked for manual updates in the security center . The computer has now been up for over 20 minutes which seems like a record I hope my problems are finally solved . Thanks again mozart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back