Mouse Cursor Freezes On Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGHitman14

I have read and re-read the sticky at the top of the page and have performed numerous processes before making this last effort post.

For some reason, my mouse cursor after a few minutes of use will freeze up on my screen. The icon will not move, however, if I were to pull the mouse down and to the left and click, the start menu would pop up. I hope I'm explaining clear enough the situation. The actual cursor itslef does not move, however, I can still move and use the mouse, but I cannot see where I am moving it to, I just have to guess where it is on the screen and click. While the cursor is frozen in its one position, the icon changes in accordance to where the real arrow is on the screen (text cursor over a text input area, finger pointer when I'm over a link, etc.).

I've read a few boards including this one, and I've run every possible antivirus, Lavasoft, S&D possible, all in safe mode. I ran hijack this and tried deleting a few suggested things. I thought it had solved the problem since after the next reboot, in normal mode, I was set for 3-4 hrs with a good mouse, but then it froze again, and does now everytime within its first few minutes. I should also mention that I have not expereinced any problems with the mouse in safe mode.

If anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

ESPN
UltimateBet
PartyGaming
PartyPoker

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

UltimateBet.exe
RunApp.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: &ESPN - {AE6F2894-AF10-4C9C-B16E-1DFC6FF8C0C6} - C:\Program Files\ESPN\Toolbar\DIGToolBar.dll

O9 - Extra button: UltimateBet - {94148DB5-B42D-4915-95DA-2CBB4F7095BF} - C:\Program Files\UltimateBet\UltimateBet.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: UltimateBet - {94148DB5-B42D-4915-95DA-2CBB4F7095BF} - C:\Program Files\UltimateBet\UltimateBet.exe

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe

Fix all 016-DPF entries.

Fix all 018-Protocol entries.

O20 - Winlogon Notify: IPConfTSP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\duwsockx.dll (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
C:\Program Files\UltimateBet\UltimateBet.exe
C:\Program Files\ESPN\Toolbar\DIGToolBar.dll

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Well unfortunately, most of what you mentioned are programs which I actually use, such as PartyGaming (PartPoker), UltimateBet (another poker program), and ESPN Toolbar.

As for the other things, I'll follow the first few steps as I did before when I did all teh things on the sticky and I'll come back and post again if there is still a problem. Thanks for the help.

I urge you to consider getting rid of the programmes I suggested. This is because they place adware on your computer.

If you know the ESPN Toolbar to be safe, then by all means keep it.

Ultimately it`s your choice.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate that you're taking your time to help me out with this. I understand what you are saying, but unfortunately, those programs are very important for me financially. I could do away with the ESPN toolbar, but I've had it for months now and it's never caused a problem, along with the two poker programs.

I've fixed the O16 and O18 lines and to this point, I haven't had a problem yet. It seems as if the computer is booting faster, and the mouse has yet to freeze. Those O16 and O18 files seemed to be linked to "logitech", the brand of the mouse, so that may have had something to do with it.

While I type this post, I notice that if I leave the mouse in the same place for a while, and then try to move it, it doesn't move for a second or two, and then it takes off. I'm not sure if that's goign to evolve into the old problem again, so I thought I mentioned it.

Thanks again for the help, and if you think there is anythign else I should do, I'd gladly take your advice.

just to update, I've had no more permanant freezing of the mouse, but many times, it does freeze for a few seconds and then move around again. Any suggestions on how to fix thsi would be appreciated. I can do another hijack log if anyone would like.

Have HJT fix the following entries.

Fix all 016-DPF entries.

O23 - Service: PostgreSQL Database Server 8.0 (pgsql-8.0) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin\pg_ctl.exe" runservice -N "pgsql-8.0" -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\data\ (file missing)

Click the fix checked button.

Do a Google search for UltimateBet.exe. You will see that this as well as other files are targeted by a virus. If after reading about this, you still want to keep these programme, then on your own head be it.

Also, the ESPN toolbar is known to be a bit of a resource hog. Again, it`s up to you.

Alright, well I'll take your advice and do away with the ESPN toolbar. I actually don't use Ultimate Bet too much, more Full Tilt and Party Poker, so I guess I can do away with that as well.

As for the 016, I removed all of those last time, so how come more came up when I ran another HJT? Anyways, I'll remove all of those as well and let you know the results and post another log if there is still a problem. Thanks once again.

Just have HJT fix this entry.

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [InstallShieldSetup] C:\PROGRA~1\INSTAL~1\{5809E~1\Setup.exe -rebootC:\PROGRA~1\INSTAL~1\{5809E~1\reboot.ini -l0x9

Other than that your HJT log is clean, apart from the party poker stuff.

Maybe you should consider opening a new thread in our other hardware forum.

Thanks again. I just fixed that last entry, and I will reboot in normal mode and see how things go. If I still encounter problems I will make a post elsewhere. Thanks again for the help.

I just have one concern. I rebooted the computer in normal mode and then ran hijack this, and the log is different than what it was in Safe Mode. I had already fixed some of these entries (O2, O16 entries) and now they'er back. I'll post the log that I just got in Normal Mode. Any idea why there still here?

(for some reason, the manage attatchment isn't working so I've just pasted it below)

Have HJT fix the following.

Fix all 016-DPF entries.

If you don`t want any more 016-DPF entries, I suggest you download and install the Firefox browser. Firefox doesn`t use ActiveX which is what the 016-DPF entries are.

They will come back depending on what application is using them.

I`m not sure why the 02 no file entries keep coming back, but I wouldn`t worry too much as they are fairly harmless.

Download and run the Ccleaner programme from HERE That`ll get rid of lots of crap from your computer.

Thanks for the link to that program. Cleared nearly a gig of HD space, haha.

Unfortunately, the mouse is still freezing. As I said befoer, all the changes I make, like the O2 and O16 entries that I remove come back everytime when I log back in (regardless of if I remove in safe or normal mode)

For me this is a big problem because I make a large portion of my income playing poker, and if all of a sudden during a game, my mouse dies, I'd be in a lot of trouble, so I haven't gotten to play much lately due to this.

If you have anymore suggestions or ideas of what to do or where to go I'd apprecaite it.

I just want to make it clear on more time of what the problem is. The actual mouse cursor, the image itself, freezes on the screen. Only the image freezes. THe mouse still carries out it's normal function, however you cannot see where you are clicking, you just have to guess since the actual cursor itself never moves. For instance, if the mouse freezes in the middle of the screen, if you just pull the mouse down and to the left and click, the start menu will pop up even the the mouse cursor is frozen in the middle of the screen.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Like I said, it may be a good idea to start a new thread for your mouse problems.

I don`t think your spyware issues had anything to do with your mouse problems.

As far as I`m concerned, your system is now clean.

Have you tried a different mouse?

Also, maybe try uninstalling the mouse from your device manager and rebooting your system. Windows will then reinstall the mouse driver.

If the above doesn`t help. Start a new thread as I suggested.

I'll go ahead an try a new mouse. I had just assumed a software problem since things worked perfectly on safe mode, and the mouse always has function, but I just couldn't see what it was doing due to the "software/driver" problem I thought I had.

I did btw reinstall the driver, but that didn't do anything.

Thanks again for all the help, and I'll keep you updated on any progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back