Inactive Mouse pointer moving on its own Windows 7 OS

hi guys

i need help.

my mouse pointer seems to have a mind of its own.
it keeps on navigating and creating commands i did not ask and even if i am not touching the touchpad.
i suspected a virus or a malware but the scans came out clean.
i used avira,housecall, bitdefender,malware bytes to diagnose the problem. i even resorted to reformatting my laptop. but the problem is still persistent.

im using a windows 7 os.

if you can please offer a solution in layman, i would really appreciate it. thank you.

If you reformatted and reinstalled the OS and the mouse still has a mind of it's own, it sounds like it is hardware related.

But although you have run several scans on your own, I'll be glad to check the system for malware: Please follow these steps: Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Questions: Have you gone into the Control Panel> Mouse and checked the setting?.
Also Control Panel> Hardware> Device Manager> Expand Pointing Devices> Do you see any error icons>
alert-icon.gif

Is this phantom mouse giving any particular commands or repeating the same commands?

======================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time. I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me. Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't follow directions given to someone else
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.

If I haven't replied back to you within 48 hours, you can send a PM with your thread link in it as a reminder. Do not include technical problems from your thread. Support is given only in the forum.
Threads are closed after 5 days if there is no reply.

thank you

hello sir!

thank you so much for your prompt response with my SOS.

i already had my laptop checked with an i.t. guy. he ruled out hardware problem. he was the one who in fact reformatted my OS. im afraid it was sloppy work so i tried checking for solutions. i will try my very best to faithfully execute all instructions given. However, i ask you to please be patient. i dont speak fluent tech-speak. every now and then i had to google what the jargon means. i will give an update of my progress as i complete it.

i am not sure if this is the response you ask regarding the patterned commands, but this is my observation with my pointer's odd behavior.
- highlights texts
- rapid cursor movements
- moves on its own
- icon jumps when cursor is pointed at it.

this problem is repetitive.

thank you so much. i am very grateful.

I'm sorry I missed the thread. But I see you haven't run and of the scans I left. If you are still having the problem and would like to rule out malware, please follow these steps so I can get some information about what's running: Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Don't worry about 'tech speak'- I don't speak it either and occasionally I have to 'google' it also!

Back