Mouse Will Not Work After Repairing Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

slehiman

I recently had a problem booting Up my Pc so I decided to repair my Windows XP Pro Edition ... Then i had another problem while repairing the setup asked me to write down the path of a "asms" file on the Windows Xp Pro Edition CD, but nothing could get me past that window, I entered Microsoft Support Page and there it said the solution was to delete UPPERFILTERS & LOWERFILTERS in the regedit.exe. I did that and actually it work but something was not OK, in the install console there was no mouse pointer visible, but i could finish it by using the keyboard, I thought that after repairing Windows everything would be as normal as it used to be, and it was, except for the mouse. I can see the mouse pointer laying still at the middle of the screen and it shows activity but I just can move it, i tried all types of mice in my pc but its the same (mine is an optical HP mouse by the way), i also tried checking BIOS to see that everything is as it should and it is, i checked my mouse in another computer and it works, but not in mine.
I hope someone could help me with this problem cause working only with the keyboard is very lame. Thanks, Victor Slehiman :(

Just a shot in the dark, but try running the system file checker...
With the XP cd in the drive and windows loaded up, go to...

start -> run -> type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

a black command windows appears but it closes immediatly if i do that... im actually at safe mode do I have to do that in normal mode?

shouldn't be a problem in safe mode as far as I'm aware.

What should happen, is a dosbox should appear (black window) and quickly dissapear, followed reasonably quickly with a new window (more of a messagebox) containing a progress bar, entitled "Windows File Protection")

If that's not happening I'm afraid I wouldn't know why.

well, nobody seems to be posting much around here at the moment (it's the time of day I guess), so it can't really hurt that much.

Maybe I'm wrong and it can't be run in safe mode perhaps. I dodn't know, I've never tried. Unless you knpw of a reason not to (or if you can't) rebooting to windows normally might be worth a shot.

well theres actually a reason, i have a lot of programs that start running at windows starup so having to close everything without a mouse its really a mess, sorry to ask but what is the purpose of doing the sfc scannow

I can certainly understand not wanting to close down lots of programs without a mouse (been there, done that! lol)

The system file checker scans all protected system files to check if they are as they should be. If they aren't, thay are fixed with the CD version of the file.

As I said, it's a shot in the dark, but the thinking is that perhaps during the repair process something went wrong resulting in a corrupted/missing system file.

It's entirely up to you. I don't know for sure whether the fact that it won't run in safe mode is an indication of a problem or not as I said, so persoanally, I would wait for further advice from somebody who does know if rebooting windows normally is too much trouble.

well its sounds logical, so the deleting of the UPPERFILTERS AND LOWERFILTERS has nothing to do with the problem?
cause mouse is detecting movement i can tell because the optical light is activated when i move the mouse but ps doesnt detect. it is usb mouse and the deal is i've tried ps2 mouse also but it acts the same way

well its enough for today, its late and nobody is answering so thanks ill try to do the scan tomorrow morning in normal mode to see what it happens, if u can send me someone who knows about this special stuff cause im a newbie i really dont know hoy to move in here THANKS

the upperband/lowerband thing is not something I've come across before personally, but I note that you did have to edit the registry.

I've not been able to find info on goole relating to your problem after repairing XP.

Before you go though, could you have a look at the PS/2 compatible mouse port properties in device manager? and see if it reports a problem?

sorry I had to go but i'm checking that right now, oddly in the device manager console theres no PS2 compatible mouse port properties ... maybe there is the problem

Sorry. I would fairly assume that there wouldn't be ps/2 mouse entries on control panel if there isn't one plugged in.. If it's a USB mouse you're using it may be something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back