MoviePass competitor Sinemia launches new plans starting at $4.99 per month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

MoviePass’ one-movie-per-day theater subscription service exploded in popularity last summer when the company dropped the rate to a staggering $9.95 per month. That’s an incredible deal no matter how you slice it but the truth is, most of us aren’t interested or simply don’t have the time to hit up the theater every single day.

Sinemia, a MoviePass competitor, is well aware of this. According to CEO Rifat Oguz, the average person in the US sees just four movies per year.

On Friday, his company announced a series of new subscription plans designed to appeal to those that may not necessarily need an unlimited movie-going experience.

• $4.99 per month - One ticket to any movie per month.
  • $6.99 per month - Two tickets to any movie per month.
  • $9.99 per month - Two tickets to any movie per month including 3D, 4D and IMAX formats.
  • $14.99 per month - Three tickets to any movie per month including 3D, 4D, IMAX formats.

Unlike MoviePass, Sinemia’s new offerings include advanced ticketing and seat selection as well as 3D, 4D and IMAX options. Do note that Sinemia's plans are billed annually.

From a purely financial standpoint, Sinemia’s $4.99 and $6.99 per month plans make a lot of sense if you know you aren’t the type to see more than one or two movies per month. The $9.99 and $14.99 per month plans are tougher sells when you’ve got MoviePass’ movie-per-day option although I suspect some will find value in the extra formats and advanced ticketing options.

Permalink to story.

The $4.99 isn't worth it when most theater chains have $5 options on Tuesdays. Granted, this gets you in any day. The $6.99 for two movies a month is pretty great though!

I'm reading their plans differently. "Two tickets to any movie per month" says to me that I can have two tickets to one movie, not one ticket for two different movies.

I'm reading their plans differently. "Two tickets to any movie per month" says to me that I can have two tickets to one movie, not one ticket for two different movies.
I suppose they could be more clear but according to their FAQs it says you can only go to the movies once per day. Also, if I read correctly, you also can't share your membership which means that if you bring a friend, he or she has to have their own membership. On the other hand you can see the same movie more than once, just not on the same day.

Back