Moving data from XP to Windows 7 using crossover ethernet cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of pictures and documents on my old Win.XP OS I'd like to transfer over to my new laptop with has Windows 7 on it. As I understand it, I can accomplish this using a crossover ethernet cable from one pc to the other. Would there be any problems due to the fact that one is XP and the other is Windows 7?

If so, are there any other simple ways you can think of to get the data from my old pc to the new one?
Thanks very much

Do you have external switch or are wireless router now. You really don't have to transfer the images you can keep them on the XP and use that as mini server. XP and 7 can work well if you install IPV6 on the XP box. Very easy to do.

click on start
click on run
type: cmd
type: netsh interface ipv6 install
ok
type: netsh interface ipv6 set privacy disabled persistent
ok

Under My Network Places
Click on Show icons for networked UPnP devices

Once the above is trigged you'll see all routers that support IPV6 appear and all home group and work group shares appear on the XP system. There will be also new network icon in the system tray that discovery link with your current router.

Other than the above yes you can do a correct over cable from your XP to 7 box or use USB external HDD instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back