Moving folders in Windows 7 partitions

ingeborgdot

What seems to be the best way to move folders in Windows 7? There seems to be several different ways. I have several hdd with several partitions. Thanks.

First, are this hdd all outside your pc?
If yes, an option is to copy these folders on an External Hard disk and transfer those files on your hdd.

if you only have 1 PC:

option a)

copy your folders on the External HDD, put out your current hdd and put another one inside, then paste your files on it.

option b)

Open your CPU's , if you only have 1 HDD,you can also put another one on the other slot and make it "Slave",
(suppose, your current HDD is the "Master", the other one is the "Slave")

You can move directly your files on the other one from your "Master".

Please update us.

Yes indeed. Please update us.

Your question seems so naive, it must be something much more specific.

Since you say you have several drives and partitions per drive, you don't appear to be a naive user, so whats the real problem?

What wrong with right-click and drag, choose 'move'? Maybe you want to move one of those folders that Win7 puts in it's own idea of the 'right' place. In which case moving it is going to break Windows unless you also adjust the registry, which is not recommended.

If you are trying to set the default location for standard folders you can do the following:

Click Start Orb
Click Username
Right Click folder of choice and select properties
Select the Location tab
Hit the Move Button and select new location

The attached snapshot shows where you should wind up.

Attachments

• DefaultFolder.JPG
    DefaultFolder.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, like usual I left out info. I create partitions and then like to keep My documents on partition D, My pictures on E, My Music on next hdd partition F, My videos on other hdd partition G. I also like to put my programs on another hdd and separate partition.

What do you like to label them? I guess I mean, what do you like to enter in the box?
Do you put in E:\users\Philip\My Documents or just E:\My Documents???

I like to use the default names ... makes it easier for me to remember. Moved all my default folders because I'm using an SSD for Windows 7 and want to keep the routine file activity off the system drive. Also makes it easier to upgrade since you can blow the C:\ drive away and all of your documents are still intact.

Would you mind giving me an example because I don't want to screw it up. Thanks for your quick response.

Just meant that I don't change the default folder names:

C:\...\My Documents ---> E:\...\My Documents
C:\...\My Music ---> E:\...\My Music
etc.

Where E:\ is the drive letter you wish to use as the default. (ie D:\ or F:\)

Back