MPAA and BREIN shut down 51 more torrent sites

Emil

Staff

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and Dutch anti-piracy group BREIN have collaborated to disable at least 51 torrent sites, which published links to copyrighted movies. 12 of them were based in the US while the remaining 39 were from the Netherlands, according to Ars Technica.

The two groups contacted the websites' hosting providers to take them offline. Names of the affected sites was not released because the organizations want to deter P2P users from finding them elsewhere if they pop up under new domains.

"New sites are popping up, but we take these down faster and faster so they can't gain an audience," Tim Kuik, BREIN's director, said in a statement. "Our goal is to limit the availability of illegal sites so people rather use legal platforms. BREIN doesn’t publish any names because some sites relocate and start over elsewhere." The MPAA did not release a comment at all.

Last month, the two groups shut down 29 file-sharing websites hosted in the US. BREIN has been quite successful in using other anti-piracy groups such as the MPAA as a way to extend its reach beyond Dutch borders.

Permalink to story.

Money talks, Bullsh*t walks... this is such an example of a high profile organization, protecting actors multi million dollar salaries, even for those who can't act... if it wasnt for torrents, mp3s, etc... we'd still be paying 20-30 bucks for a CD and more for DVD.

Gotta love the DVD intro's
"YOU WOULDNT STEAL A CAR"

If i could download it i would have a veyron :D

Money talks, Bullsh*t walks... this is such an example of a high profile organization, protecting actors multi million dollar salaries, even for those who can't act... if it wasnt for torrents, mp3s, etc... we'd still be paying 20-30 bucks for a CD and more for DVD.

So because someone makes millions that is the logical reason given for stealing? It is theft no matter which way you try to paint it.

@Route44
If I paint it to look like the MPAA was killing puppies every time they took down a torrent site would you support torrents?

Oh well, nobody torrents anymore. Now anonymous fileshare download sites are in vogue. The industry is just playing whack-a-mole.

It's mostly stealing chris6006. You know it, I know it, we all know it. A small proportion, if any, is legal file sharing.

And what about legal torrents? It seems that as long as the site is torrent centric, BREIN, and the MPAA don't care what content is on it. For every torrent site they take down, I foresee 10 or more popping up in its place. In the vastness that is the internet, this isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Guest said:
if it wasnt for torrents, mp3s, etc... we'd still be paying 20-30 bucks for a CD and more for DVD.

Might have a good point there...I wonder where we would actually be now (price wise) if the music mogul's had a complete hold of the industry?

$5 a single track download maybe, who knows?

Like if they cared about the artists, they get crap from each CD they sell, they get more money from concerts and propagandas they make, besides *cough* http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s07e09-christian-rock-hard
The big ones of music need to stop being stingy bastar*s.

So what? You have no argument. It is stealing plain and simple. If Torrent sites have nothing illegal content wise then they don't need to be shut down. You're "argument" goes like this: They're ripping off artists so it is okay for us steal from record companies. Circular, circular, circular.

@Chris6006: Go ahead and tell me the righteousness of your position as if the Torrent sites you visit and download from don't have illegal content. Do you have any illegal content, i.e. games and music that you didn't pay for but is someone else's hard work?

@Route44

Make no mistake...these organizations taking down these sites do not care one iota about the artists nor the other people employed to bring about the content. This is strictly a simple formula. The "industry" used to make A until the advent of digital distribution therefore now they are making B. They are not happy with B and therefore are doing what they can to get C which will not equal A however it is something right? This entire issue is about money all the way around and these sites were a method to stand up to the "industry" for raping the common man of their hard earned dollars for what is at least 80% garbage, be it filler music tracks, or terrible acting, screenplays, effects, etc. My biggest gripe is that they say you are pretty much just "renting" content from the "owners" therefore you cannot freely consume the content as you wished. Total rubbish. This would be like Toyota saying "you are renting your Camry" "you can use it on paved roads however you cannot use it on dirt roads" "if you wish to use the Camry on dirt roads you will need to pay x amount of dollars".

And what about legal torrents? It seems that as long as the site is torrent centric, BREIN, and the MPAA don't care what content is on it. For every torrent site they take down, I foresee 10 or more popping up in its place. In the vastness that is the internet, this isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Yeah that sucks, the people sharing legal content are getting caught in the crossfire here.

It never fails to amaze me the depths of rationalization and compartmentalization used to justify stealing. It has been my considerable experience that the people who go through life with a 'what you got, and how am I gonna take it from you" attitude, are the loudest squealing,cry foul,"but that's mine, indignant whiners when something is taken from them, or someone arbitrarily helps themselves to the results of their efforts.

Yeah that sucks, the people sharing legal content are getting caught in the crossfire here.

I have to say, often the best way of downloading Linux and other large ISO files for open source OS' are often by torrent - especially for those on slower connections as you can download it over several sessions on the computer.

I do hope that all these sites, torrent providers, and hosting sites for torrents don't begin to impact on the ability to still get the latest Linux distro.

I fear it will become a problem for innocent torrent users though.

No, it isn't. Otherwise, there'd be a whole lot more people in jail.

As they hide cloaked behind the internet... So by your "logic" I could come to your house, steal what I want after you worked hard, saved money, and purchased whatever said item it could be, but because no one was home and I didn't get caught I therefore by your reasoning didn't steal because I'm not in jail.

Right...

Excuse me, nothing is being stolen. There is no physical copy so the only money lost is that of a lost sale. There isn't even a lost sale because most of the people wouldn't pay for it to begin with. If it wasn't available for free online, they wouldn't get it. Stealing a CD and stealing an MP3 are completely different. The information is simply copied, not stolen.

This is nothing more than people wanting obscene amounts of money for stuff that's worthless(district 9). I would buy CD's if it meant supporting the artist. However, that is not the case. I fail to see why people keep defending these multi-billion dollar corporations when all they want to do is hurt us. They make all this money and don't want to pay taxes on it, I will steal from them to make up for that. Consider all the songs stolen(copied) from a record company as them paying taxes like they should.

All of the evil that comes out of these corporations, how can anyone take their side? This is ridiculous, it's the same problem we have in politics. As mentioned before, they would charge ludicrous amounts of money if they could. Just look at the telecom companies, they will rip you off on data plans and unlimited text. Net neutrality is BS now, it is only a matter of time before comcast starts charging to us netflix on their internet. All this because people are too dumb to realize what is in their best interest. I don't want to pay for that stuff simply because I don't like what that business will do with my money. If my $10 for a CD goes to a lawyer for prosecuting someone then they WILL NOT get my money. They have not earned my money and they are not making a product worth the price they are asking.

/rant

Excuse me, nothing is being stolen. There is no physical copy so the only money lost is that of a lost sale.

Good god, this old tired fallacy/rationalization again? Intellectual property is still property. Why do you think that something is only being stolen if you can hold it in your hand, or kick the tires? That's preposterous. Why do you think patent laws exist?...your excused.

There is no physical copy so the only money lost is that of a lost sale

yeah....whats your point?

. I fail to see why people keep defending these multi-billion dollar corporations when all they want to do is hurt us

I guess I can see your point...Microsoft walked right in my house the other day and beat up my wife and kids.

I don't want to pay for that stuff simply because I don't like what that business will do with my money

No! you don't pay for it because you don't want to part with the fruits of your efforts because you put value on it, while arbitrarily declaring others efforts worthless...Now that sounds like greed to me.

They have not earned my money and they are not making a product worth the price they are asking.

Isn't the precision of the universe amazing? I mean it always works out with you guys that the product fits neatly into that narrow window of not being worth paying for...and yet valuable enough to steal...wow, we have discovered a 5th dimension.

You are afforded every opportunity to not buy it if you thinks its not worth it, or wish to keep your moral high ground.

If you are kidding, That is very clever satire...

if >> your << not, an instrument has not yet been devised that can measure the obtuseness of that statement.
OK, one more time; it's not "your", it's "you're".

Besides, how did you allow yourself to get sucked into this bizarre, periennial, self serving dogma, spouted by a bunch of sociopathic, teeny bopper, juvenile delinquents?

I'm thinking that this site should take some prophylactic action on its own to circumvent the rest of us having to listen to this BS.

For example; shut down the "Virus and Malware Removal" forum, and let them go someplace else to get their computers cleaned out, or do it themselves. That way, at least we'd gain some respite from the pathological discourse that always accompanies their posting to this type of thread.

Oh, I know, they're entitled to free malware removal, as well as free movies, programs and music. After all look who they are....nobody.

OK, one more time; it's not "your", it's "you're".

Besides, how did you allow yourself to get sucked into this bizarre, periennial, self serving dogma, spouted by a bunch of sociopathic, teeny bopper, juvenile delinquents?

I'm thinking that this site should take some prophylactic action on its own to circumvent the rest of us having to listen to this BS.

For example; shut down the "Virus and Malware Removal" forum, and let them go someplace else to get their computers cleaned out, or do it themselves. That way, at least we'd gain some respite from the pathological discourse that always accompanies their posting to this type of thread.

Okay fixed...I got all worked up into a froth, I have been getting better at that however.

every once in a while I guess I feel a bit sadistic. And I was recruited into this one.

take some prophylactic action

I just thought of a new superhero!

To continue on from yRaz of sorts.
People in the old days would make tapes of music for one another, good ol cassettes eh. Exactly the same ol copyright law, just not on a grand scale as the internet. Its been about forever, now that its everywhere its apparently a problem.

And I dont like stealing, sure, the worlds full of tools who swipe cars, handbags, your tv when ya out, or asleep, its a crap world we live in. But... I do not believe the BS that comes out of these a-holes. They are not losing $100mil in revenue on gaming. You cant take the amount of downloads, multiply the going rate for said item, and come up with the figure you are missing.
That is unrealistic, and only for the douches that are brainwashed into believing all that they read or are told.

I like my Steam, i buy in sale, I guess I am getting old. I wont pay stupid prices like the young spoilt brats of the next generation, £40 for a game, £20 for a film, £15 for an album, are you kiddin me. I will never pay for those prices and no one should. NO ONE. And they won't. If and when they take down these sites, thats fine, I will love to see that day, when they realise, no huge revenue increase ? how come ? well ya govt is full of money grabbing weapon selling a-holes, and they hired *****s to look after the moneys, and its all gone, you owe to china who want nothing more than to see you eat yourselves, which will be when you start rioting and looting yourselves, when you find out you have no way to pay for ya medical bills and hiked taxes, coz you have no jobs, theres too many people on the planet with the increased population, of which most of it is china, waiting to pick the last few off.... the end of capatilism, the fall of man, the end of the world... end of communications....

Well, Guest, nobody could argue with most of that. In truth, there is plenty of BS on both sides of the fence.

The exaggerated claims of loss by the entertainment industry= BS

The "nothing's been stolen", well, that's BS too.

I always thought that boycott was the route to lower prices. If something doesn't sell, then somebody will lower the price until it does.

But when you feel you're entitled to it, on the day it's released, for free, that's straight up sociopathy.

Okay fixed...I got all worked up into a froth, I have been getting better at that however.

every once in a while I guess I feel a bit sadistic. And I was recruited into this one.
Since you full well know, that you'll never effect any change in attitude, why don't we call it, "masochistic".

"Recruited", or "subverted"? Oh well, you say to-may-to, I say "to-mah-to".

I just thought of a new superhero!
It's probably not the same one I'm thinking of. Er, that would be, "Internet Blocking Rootkit Man"....

Good god, this old tired fallacy/rationalization again? Intellectual property is still property. Why do you think that something is only being stolen if you can hold it in your hand, or kick the tires? That's preposterous. Why do you think patent laws exist?...your excused.

patent laws are abused to the point where they have lost their original purpose, to protect the creator. Patents are mainly used for large corporations to sue each other now.

yeah....whats your point?

point is that no money was lost, they just didn't make any. Music, like any other art, should be free for everyone to appreciate. You can look at a painting online or barrow a book from a library, Both of those have the same effect that piracy does. I'm sure publishers would love for everyone to buy a book, but you don't see them making laws about it. The recording industry is nothing more than a middle man demanding ridiculous amounts of money. The artists work for their money by performing on stage, for the fans. The record companies pimp off the artists. THEY are the thieves.

I guess I can see your point...Microsoft walked right in my house the other day and beat up my wife and kids.

Dumb example, our rights are being taken away everyday.

No! you don't pay for it because you don't want to part with the fruits of your efforts because you put value on it, while arbitrarily declaring others efforts worthless...Now that sounds like greed to me.

It's called a boycott. I have a zune pass and a netflix account so I get this stuff close to free anyway.

Isn't the precision of the universe amazing? I mean it always works out with you guys that the product fits neatly into that narrow window of not being worth paying for...and yet valuable enough to steal...wow, we have discovered a 5th dimension.

You are afforded every opportunity to not buy it if you thinks its not worth it, or wish to keep your moral high ground.

Valuable enough to steal? It's so not worth my time that I wouldn't walk out the door to rent the damn thing. I wouldn't even walk next door and ask my neighbors for district 9 none the less pay for it at the lowest of prices. 3 clicks away? Maybe I'll watch it then. See, I'm not going to go out of my way to watch something if I'm only going to turn it off.

Back