MS Xbox and AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also caught this article earlier. Seems that Intel is slacking again and AMD is taking advantage. If things keeps going the way they are AMD will soon be rivaling Intel for the most dominant chip making company.

You've got to give props to the AMD people for taking advantages of the opportunities that have come their way lately.

I dunno why they didn't give it to them in the first place.
AMD had back then a faster CPU which would cost less. Then they bogglingly enough gave it to Intel who provided a slower CPU at about the same price (Maybe more not too sure from what I recall).
It boggled me even more choosing Intel when NVIDIA only got an AMD license & Intel refused them.

At the time of the xbox 1, AMD had the Athlon K75 out, not very practical from a space standpoint, it also generated quite a lot of heat. MS really hesitated but in the end I think Intel offered such a cheap price for their P3/Cely that MS could'nt refuse.

The CPU in the XboX is really a mobile version of their P3/Cely CPUs, AMD never released a mobile version of their Athlon at that time.

Since we're on the XboX topic, I saw it in Display at a store today. It was playing Gotham City Racer ( or something like that ... ;) ). I must say I'm much more impressed with it then the PS2. When GT3 came out, there was no way to miss it. Almost every store here had huge screens playing game footage or the opening intro & I even played it once at a friend's house. I'm not gonna buy an XboX anyways, just thought I'd say something about it ;)

I'm not much of a console person anymore, my last console was the super nes & now, the closest things to it that I have is a bunch of emulators ( Yes I do own the original games :D ).

I believe in a story on AMD I posted here, another issue was FAB's. AMD simply didn't have the production capacity to ramp up to make XBox's CPU's at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back