MSI X570 Tomahawk Motherboard Review

Seems kind of silly pairing a $730 processor with a $200 mobo though a $440 processor is a pretty good fit. But it's good to know if you go for an R5 3600 with this Mobo, you can move up to a presumptive 4950X with no VRM concerns in a few years.

It's more for when you upgrade in a few years time, the 3900X/3950X will almost certainly be dirt cheap in a few years.

The Unify LOOKS like a great board, however it has one major silly restriction. You can only use one PCIex1 slot. If both are populated, the top one will cease functioning. This is not a restriction that affects any other X570 board, and it affects those of us that use multiple expansion cards. No reviews mention this.

Does the Tomahawk have this same restriction?

Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but in that case, wasn't x570 chipset price a hoax by AMD? Few days ago manufacturers showed Intel x490 boards starting at ~$200 and all of a sudden one of them shows up with a decent board for minimum 66% the price of nearest competition (within it's own brand)?

Mark my words, the rest will follow suit soon, cause AMD just cut the price of chipset in half.

The only advantage for regular user seems to be PCIe4, which is a scam, cause how many of Them is gonna see the difference between PCIe3 NVME SSD?.

The only advantage for regular user seems to be PCIe4, which is a scam, cause how many of Them is gonna see the difference between PCIe3 NVME SSD?.

in short, you can use less PCIe lanes per device to achieve the same performance. What this means is you can have more peripherals without a performance loss.

Used their boards exclusively until about 15 years ago when performance lagged and they just didn't "feel" right. Never gone back and at this point I just am not convinced that I should .... they are on the right track but have more work to do in order to win back this buyer .....

Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but in that case, wasn't x570 chipset price a hoax by AMD? Few days ago manufacturers showed Intel x490 boards starting at ~$200 and all of a sudden one of them shows up with a decent board for minimum 66% the price of nearest competition (within it's own brand)?

Mark my words, the rest will follow suit soon, cause AMD just cut the price of chipset in half.

The pricing on this motherboard was decided months in advance. You can just google the motherboard and most articles from a few months ago will tell you that.

I don't understand your problem here, X570 boards started at around £150 and went up to £750, its not AMD's fault that MSI done a bad job with their entry level X570 boards that had worse performing VRM's than MSI's own B450 boards

Just built a back up PC with R5 3600 and Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite board, seems like the x570 Aorus Elite can handle the next gen 12 cores from AMD just fine, assuming Ryzen 3 stay with AM4 platform.

Man, if I knew Zen3 wasn't around the corner, I would seriously consider the 3900x.

Hopefully they release the 4900x at the same time the regular 4000 series CPU's come out.

It's more for when you upgrade in a few years time, the 3900X/3950X will almost certainly be dirt cheap in a few years.

The 3950X specifically may actually retain its value to a degree that's otherwise unexpected, if AMD does indeed carry through with entirely locking out Zen 3 on chipsets other than A520/B550/X570. It would become the "top chip" for the many B350 through X470 series boards (and the odd A320... I see you, Biostar) still in the wild. Paradoxically turning it into a sort of i7-7700K style capstone CPU in a sense.

Back