Multiple different bsods, related to driver i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy11309

Hey all,
new to the boards and have seen that you guys are quite good at helping people figure out their bsod issues. I've been having them for weeks now, multiple times a day, and I can't figure out what is causing the problem. I read through and did everything in the read this first thread and nothing worked. actually, when I used the driver verifier, I got 2 bsod's from that (driver_verifier_detection_violation). the bsod's I have been seeing are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, etc. there are a few more, but those are the consistently reoccurring ones, especially the first two.

here are my system specs:
Windows 7 x64
Intel Q8200
ATI Radeon 5850
4gb GSkill DDR2 1066
Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G

that's pretty much everything in my computer right now aside from harddrives. I ran memtest a few nights ago overnight, it passed 9 times with no errors. all of my temps are normal. everything has been cleaned off in my comp. I'm clueless as to what is going on. I thought it was my sound card, so I removed that and removed the driver, but it's still happening. if anyone could help me at all, I would be so incredibly appreciative. attached below are some of the bsod minidumps that I have encountered today. I had to zip them up because they were larger than what the board allowed, hope this isn't an issue. if you need more, please let me know, I've got a bunch more :(

thanks again

edit: I forgot to say that the bsod's don't seem to follow a pattern when they happen. they'll happen when my computer is on and I havn't touched it for hours, or during a game, or right when windows starts up. what I'm trying to say is that it just randomly happens.

Attachments

• 012910-21153-01.zip
    20.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 013010-19515-01.zip
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 013010-25708-01.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 013010-19531-01.zip
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 013010-19453-01.zip
    23 KB · Views: 0
What is your motherboard make and what security software are you running? Also, please take your five most recent minidump files and put them in one Zip file. Thanks.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G. the only security software I'm running currently is AVG 9.0.733 and Windows Firewall. attached is the 5 minidumps in 1 zip file. if you need anything else, just let me know.

edit: I added a 6th bsod because right after I posted this, my comp blue screened again, this time with a bsod that I have never seen before :(

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    132.6 KB · Views: 1
The first four errors are as follows:

0xA - these are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level than they are desinged for.

0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

0xD1 - these are usually caused by drivers but sometimes by faulty or mismatched memory.

0xC2: BAD_POOL_CALLER
A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

All four only listed Vista OS drivers as the probable cause and OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help.

The remaining two errors are the same 0xC4: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
This is the general bug check code for fatal errors that the Driver Verifier finds.

In these two both minidumps pointed to the driver avgtdia.sys as the cause of your system crashes. From what I cqan gather this is a driver for your AVG though somemalware/spyware can mimic it.

wow thanks for the info. i'm going to uninstall avg and install another antivirus and see if that fixes it. i'll let you know the outcome. thanks a bunch for the help, i really appreciate it.

Well I come baring some bad news. I uninstalled avg, restarted my computer, and yet the bsod's continue to happen. I've attached the latest 2 minidumps, only have had 2 bsod's since the ones I posted before. any help would be much appreciated. I'm ready to chuck this computer out the window :(

thanks

Attachments

• Minidump2.zip
    41 KB · Views: 2
Of the two errors that you received the single most important one is 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

This is one of the strongest error codes that indicates corrupted memory and this dump specifically cited memory corruption as the cause of your sustem crashes . Here is the thing about corrupted memory. It can throw out all kinds of error codes pointing to different causes but truth be told it is bad RAM as the real problem.

Therefor your next step shou;ld be running the free and completely safe Memtest on your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

okie dokie. i will test each stick individually starting tonight. i tested both sticks together like 2 weeks ago and let it run for 7-8 full passes, with no errors.

but in either case, i will take a stick out tonight and run it while i sleep. then i will run the other stick while im in class all day tomorrow. i'll let you know what happens. thanks a bunch.

sorry for the double post but i have an update. i let it run on one stick overnight, 16 full passes, 0 errors. so i assume that stick was good. so then i threw in my other stick and went and took a shower. by the time i got out of the shower, it hadn't completed a pass and already had 13 errors. so i'm assuming that stick is borked.

i would guess the next step from here is to rma the ram, right? and i'm guessing i have to send back both sticks, which sucks, cause now i'll have no ram :( off to newegg i go!

Yep, you got a really bad stick there. If your RAM came in a set I am afraid you are correct in that you will have to return them as a set.

Let us know how it goes. Newegg is a great place for customer service.

that's what i figured :(

i'm thinking about getting this ram and sticking it in there. my plan would be to have that 4gb, rma the broken stuff, then get the broken stuff back and run 8gb's. my question is will this cause problems, running different paired sticks from different makers at the same speed and timings? i've always ran matched sticks of the same make and model so i'm clueless here. the ram i currently have that's broken are these. thanks again for all your help :)

G.Skill makes excellent RAM (as does OCZ). The question is do you need 8 gigs? Unless you are doing intense rendering or video editing capturing 4 gigs are plenty.

Secondly, if you are doing different pairs of the same type of RAM make sure the timings and voltage requirements match as well as working with your Gigabyte motherboard.

I would also research to see if a) how well your motherboard works with 8 gigs of RAM and b) if your current BIOS will recognize and work with 8 gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back