Multiple PCIe x16 slots, SLI compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Ok, I have a question. I couldn't think how to word the title properly, but it'll do.

Basically I'm looking to upgrade my Mobo. I have an ASUS M2N-E SLI now, it has 2 x16 slots, but one runs at x8, I need 2 running at x16 each. I'm looking on Newegg for a new one and I decided to look at the ones that had 4 x16 slots on em. I found a few I like, but I need to make sure the spacing is standard for SLI-ing or X-firing 2 cards at the same time. It looks like the 2 x16 slots (the 2 running at x16) are too far apart for a standard SLI bridge. Here are the 2 I found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186152

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339

I'd prefer the second one, I like ASUS mobos a lot.

So, will a normal standard SLI work on this, or will I need a special cable, OR will I have to put one in a x16 slot and one in an x8 slot, cuz that defeats the purpose.

Ok, a few days is enough. Can someone please answer this, I can't make a buying decision until I get some input here. I'm not asking much, really, just whether I'd be able to use this for SLI-ing cards on both the 16x (speed) slots. Please?

You're going to need a tri sli link cable, I'd go with the Asus board, since it offers dual 16x pci slots.

That's the one I want, but will I need a triple sli link for plugging in only 2 devices, and if so, could I get one of them on Newegg?

well if its only two then you need just an sli bridge and they're cheap, im sure you can find it on newegg.

The spacing is standard for the 2 x16 speed slots? I'll only need a regular dual sli link? I have one of those, it came with my current mobo (that has 1 x16 slot @ x16 speed and one x16 slot at x8 speed), and I'm sure this one would come with one, too. So it'll only be a standard dual link that I'll need?

SLI x8 has no disadvantage over SLI x16. No card uses the complete bandwidth offered by PCi-E x16, so there is no real-world difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back