My computer don't recognize new 512 SDRAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a 512 SDRAM in my computer along with the 256 I already had installed. The new ram is not recognized by my computer. I tried taking it out and replacing it where the old 256 Ram was but it didn't work. I checked my system capabilities and it allow up to 1024 MB. It's the same PC133 as my old but a different brand. How can I tell if I brought a bad memory card or if my system is compatible to the new memory card. Is there a website I can go to that will give me this information for free?

Thanks,
Lethia

Will the system run with only the new module installed? If it does, try putting the two modules in different slots to what you had before. Sometimes works - or it may be bad memory

I'm new to this posting forums so forgive my ignorance. This is what I tried: the orig ram still in place, I added new ram in extra slot, swapped rams in slots, removed old ram totally and replaced w/new ram in slot one then tried slot two. Eventually got new ram to work by inself in slot one but had problems loading my computer. Took new ram out to put old ram back in place and computer working fine again. I tried every which way and I still don't know if it's my computer or the ram.

By the way I a few of the already posted forums for my answers without success. I am however going to read the guide for posting in forum. I may not be back, Tedster. :O)

I was going to add that I think your new memory is bad and you should send it back.
I could not find the upgrade guide - has it moved?

I actually found the guide the day I posted my last message. I found it very helpful. A lot of reading so I printed it out so I can really get into when I ready to try upgrading again. I think the ram work because after messing with my bios I got my computer to recognize the new memory. However....I had to remove it because my computer starting acting up right after the first reboot. So since my computer recognized the new memory, I'm thinking it is a working one just that my computer have a problem with it. Am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back