My computer just wont work, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody help me please, I am having massive issues with my computer and I have no idea how to resolve it...

Basically my computer appeared to have been infected with some virus so I decided it would be better to wipe my computer completely, I attempted to do this with a copy of Windows XP Professional,now whilst trying to do this I got to the product key section and the key was not recognised.

Therefore I obtained another version of XP, and tried to do the same and my computer is only detecting that I am trying to download the Professional version as opposed to just the XP version.

Now I am completely clueless as to how to sort this problem out as right now I cannot put any sort of operating system on my comp, due to the product key issue, my friend tells me I need to completely delete all information from my comp and try again, but I am clueless as to how to go about it,PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY HELP!

Thank you so much!

During the setup process you need to reformat the hard drive prior to installing the OS and while you're at it you might as well delete and re-create the main partition. As far as the CD key goes that will not matter as long as you have a valid one. When you re-format the drive all previous installations of windows will be gone.

Wherein lies the problem, i cant get to that place lol!basically the computer will load straight to the windows setup screen, i cant access anything prior to that and i do have this issue where it recognises the alternative XP Professional as opposed to the version of XP i am trying to install, thanks so much for your help in this, i am so appreciative!

Google a program called KillDisk. It can be placed on a CD or Floppy and it's free. Enter the BIOS settings and set the CD or Floppy as the first selection in the Boot Sequence. Boot up from the CD or Floppy and follow the instructions. It will format your hard drive much better that the formatting tool on the Windows installation CD.

Just one quick question, in case!how do you access BIOS from booting up?i really am a complete novice with computers in this way, I can use them okay tho!

As soon as you power up the PC, a splash screen appears with either a Dell logo, HP logo, etc...depending on the model PC you have. On the Dell, the key F2 needs to be pushed while that screen is on. On the HP I believe it's the F1 key that needs to be pushed. Either way whichever model you have, it will tell you which button to push on that screen to enter the Setup which will take you to the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back