My computer screen is blacking out, there's green verticle dots and freezes eventually

CindyC

hi I have a NVIDIA GEforce 9800 GTX graphics card and a Dell model number SP2008WFPt monitor. it's a really nice monitor but may be getting old now. my computer is almost 6 years old, but I need to figure out why it has been (only since last night) blacking out and sometimes even flashing, then it will return and when I boot up, on the opening screen there will be green dots in lines of three going verticle everywhere. I already checked the hardware, did a system scan ( no viruses found) and got all the necessery drivers. can anyone let me know what it might be? It works just fine in safe mode, so I know it's not loose hardware, it must be a software issue or something. please help, thanks! it usually blacks out when I try to watch a video or play a game, hope that info helps.

The video card could be artifacting/failing.

Things to try would be:
Reinstalling the newest Driver for the video card (You already tried, so it probably isn't this) But do make sure to remove the old drivers first, restart the computer, then install the newest ones.

Try another video card or on board video. You will not be able to get the same preformance for testing in games (Unless you have another 9800 GTX To try) but if you have onboard video then it will at least tell you if it is the video card or the PCI-E slot.

Has anything changed since last night? Any software installs? Windows Updates? Any significant changes to the computer?
Lastly, since it works in safemode you can assume it is probably a service/driver/software that is causing the issue.
Are you familiar with msconfig for turning off services and software from start?

nothing has changed it basically came out of nowhere. no updates other than adobe acrobat, I performed a defrag, memory system check, a full virus scan and found a Adware but removing it did'nt fix the problem. Im not familliar with msconfig but I am handy and prepared to do process of elimination. Also, recently after the flashing my mouse starts acting very slow my sound also begins repeating or going randomly nuts as the flashing and blacking out occurs. I'm now hoping it's not my power supply overheating, but It might also be that my Videocard may need to be replaced =( but I dont have an extra one around to check.

ok so I got rid of my old drivers and renewed it. and I tried the game. I was able to get into the game with no problems but about a minute later the graphics started clipping then my computer froze. it did not black out this time though strangely enough. it's starting to look to me like I have to get a new vid card.

Yeah, you may need a new VC. When uninstalling the old drivers did you make sure to do into Programs and Features (Add Remove Programs if you are on XP) and remove all drivers/software to do with your video card? Just to make sure that everything is being freshly installed.

if i run my games on a low resolution it works without error. but the second I bump up the graphics it flips out.

Yup put a new VC in and now im running better than ever, thanks for all your help, it's nice that my brother had a nice extra video card I could have XD

Back