My Computer thinks my flash drive is a floppy drive! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using win XP. I bought a generic flash drive and it worked well for two days. Now, my computer shows it as a removable drive, but when I try to access it, it asks me to insert a disc into it!!

Also, when I click properties - it shows there is no capacity on the flash drive. I am a beginner with computers, I would appreciate some help in layman terms. Thank you.

Did your Flash come with any software? Xp is obviously confused as to exactly what the drive is .
It may be that the drive is full. Try formatting it .Right click on the drive in My Computer.
If there is a Web page for the Drive see if they have drivers for it .Download the file.

Often you can plug the drive in and go to Device Manager . there you can uninstall the drive by right clicking on it and uninstall.Then reboot with the drive left in.Xp will try to install drivers when you get back to Desktop.Cancel that and use the Hardware Wizard to search for the drivers .Here you choose the device from the lists that are offered to you. That of course is if your drive is listed.

Hey thanks a lot!!

I did exactly as you said and it worked perfectly!! Genius!! Thanks again!!

Kind regards,

Amni77

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back