"My Computer", "Trash Bin", "Control Panel" etc will not open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flm74

Ok gang, I'm once again in need of some assistance. I had a few nasty bits from web junk a few weeks ago. I got it cleared up and my HJT.log is clean. I did a system repair 2 weeks ago to fix this very problem, worked fine until today. Any ideas as to what can be going on?

Thanks in advance.

One thing you can try is to disable them and re-enable from Desktop Properties. I'd also recommend trying to return them to their default icons as well.

To do this, find an open spot on your desktop (i.e. not over an icon) and right-click and select Properties from the menu.

Click on the Desktop tab at the top.
Click on "Customize Desktop" button at the bottom of that tab.
On the General tab (at the top) uncheck all 4 icons at the top (My Computer, My Documnts, etc.etc.) then click OK and OK..OK.. until back at the desktop. Verify you do not have these icons on your desktop now. If you do, they are simply shortcuts and you should delete them.

Now, repeat the above steps.. but this time re-check each of the four items, as well as visit the icon area in the middle and click "Restore Default" on each one. Then click OK, OK, OK.. all the way back to the desktop with your fingers crossed.

Hope this helps!

You say your HJT log is clean but I've never heard of a problem like this happening without the prescense of some sort of maleware.

Does it do the same thing in safe mode?

----
sorry if the above statement sounded rude, I didn't mean for it to come out in that fashion I couldn't figure out any other way to word it lol

You can try to read this and play a bit with those settings described here:
Please see the attached .txt which contains the link. Looks like I cannot yet post links. The link is to a Microsoft page, so -if you trust Microsoft- it's a safe link.

Cheers
G.

Attachments

• microsoft_link.txt
    82 bytes · Views: 17
No. in safe mode it does works normally. it does not works only in normal mode. However if we try to open the C:drive from run menu. it does open. But IE, Recycle bin & My computer does not works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back