My CPU just stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
My CPU fan just stopped working

Well I was trying to overclock my computer and I did it. But then my computer started to make some wierd sounds so I put my processer back to 2.4GHz and then it said that my CPU fan failed and some other fans any one have any clue to see if I can fix this??

The first thing I'd recommend is opening the case and switching it on (conforming to antistatic regulations etc) and seeing what's spinning. I'm not sure what fans you have, but you'll at least have a CPU fan. See if it's running properly. If it's not, it could possibly be that you've burnt out your CPU and there is no need for the CPU fan to spin. Can't speak from experience, but I'd guess this is a common problem when it comes to overclocking. Do you get any visuals? BIOS? OS? Boot-screen?

-Em

Yea everything everything works and i have a water cooler but when i opened up my computer i see a thing that says CPU FAN and then under it is a plug in thing do i plug something in it?

The CPU fan connector on the motherboard should be a 4-pin connection, and in my experience, a cable running from the CPU fan should be a 3 pin. It should only fit in one orientation so you can't get it wrong. If you let me know what motherboard and processor you have, I might be able to give more details. Try plugging the fan into the motherboard if it's not already. Let me know how it goes.

-Em

If you are water cooling a cpu fan failure doesn't affect anything. My guess is earlier your BIOS was not set to give you a CPU Fan Failure warning and somehow in your overclocking or resetting that has now been enabled. I'd just go back in and find that setting and disable it. Of course its going to say it failed if you don't have a fan plugged into its connector.

Based on the information you've provided, yes I'm sure. If one of your case fans (if you have any) has the 3 prong connector you can just plug that into the CPU FAN part on your motherboard and the error would go away that way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back