My heatsink and cpu look as if they don't need thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkstuarez

I just replaced my amd Athlon 2200 for a new one, and need to know if I need to put some on. It looks like it has some, but with a plate on top(is this lapping?).

You can tell on the heat sink where there is a tiny square mark from the cpu, which also has a tiny square, that there was never any compound in the first place. But should I put some on anyway?

P1040011.jpg

P1040009.jpg

That plate on top is the heat spreader.

Yes, you need to use thermal paste. Clean off the old thermal paste from both the heatsink and cpu die, then apply a very thing layer of new thermal paste to the cpu die and reattach the heatsink. See HERE for instructions.

Regards Howard :)

Wait, ok, so just clean off the heat spreader and the heat sink, and put paste on both? What is the die?

The new CPU also has paste around the spreader.

The cpu die is what`s in the middle of the cpu. In other words, the heat spreader. After cleaning, you would only apply a very small amount of thermal paste to the cpu`s heatspreader, then attach the heatsink.

If you click on the instructions I gave you, you`ll quite clearly see where you need to put the thermal paste.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back