1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

My nephew put a penny in my Laptop DVD Rom Drive + Rare/Special PC Cards + S Slot?

By maniac_lonestar · 4 replies
Aug 15, 2006
  1. Well my Nephew put a penny in it and it isnt recognized anymore, but I hate using USB DVD Rom Drives, so I was hoping that I can fix this. So I'll start out with...

    1. I am wondering if you fellas can help me:

    A. make sure my DVD Rom might still work.
    B. make the Laptop Recognize this DVD Rom Drive
    C. find a compatible Laptop Drive that FIT's in this Laptop of >>>Mines<<<
    D. Fix my DVD Drive and give suggestions

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    2. I have two PCMIA slots on this laptop, I think, and well:

    A. Even though I tried lookin for em, are there any PC Cards that are special like Antivirus, Storage, or like Cooling System etc.
    B. Are there any Cards that do something else besides: Sound Quality, Graphics, Networking?

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    3. I notice on my laptop there is a Slot labeled with an S. It looks like a slot for mouse/keyboard, but it doesn't fit and this laptop only supports USB Mouse and Keyboard.
  2. i_am_a_newbie

    i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 168

    The "S" might possibly be S-Video out; as they look similar to the PS/2 ports mice and keyboards use.
  3. maniac_lonestar

    maniac_lonestar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 116

    And what can I use it for? Inputting my Laptop Monitor to a bigger one?
  4. mailpup

    mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 7,306   +577

    S-Video out would be for sending output to a TV with a corresponding S-Video in. It might not be a direct connection, however. The "S-Video" connection on the laptop is probably not a true S-Video but would need an adaptor which will separate the video and sound output. The "S-Video" on the laptop will have a different number of pins (because of the sound signal) than a real S-Video.
  5. Rottenweiler

    Rottenweiler TS Rookie

    What type of machine is it?
    What model?
    The older Dell laptops have an S port which is indeed S-video out. You can plug a standard S-video cable into it, it will bring only the video signal to a Television as an output (ie like a big monitor).
    Or you can use the cable that comes with them. They usually come with an adapter that splits the S-video signal and the audio signals. For example Dell P/N 070TVD. (Look for examples on EBay)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...