My new 1GB of RAM won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a PC3200 1GB stick of DDR SDRAM 128x64 and when I install it it just won't run. The computer beeps at me as though it has no RAM at all. I have checked my system and I should be able to run up to 2GB of RAM in it. I can't even mix and match with my existing sticks of RAM as I get the same problem. The system beeps and I just get a nice black screen.

My system is as follows:
Gateway 500 series
2.2 GB CPU
512MB Ram (2 256 sticks)
GeForce 6200 Video Card
Windows XP SP2

Wtf is going on here? Anybody got any ideas? I have run a check at Crucial.com and it shows my system should be able to run this type & amount of RAM.

Any bits of advice to get me over this hump would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Did you try your system with only the new 1 GB stick installed? If so and if it didn't boot, then the RAM stick must be bad.
If it boots with only the new stick but not with any combination of it and the other 2 sticks, then the RAM must be incompatible. I've read that some boards are really picky about RAM. Are all 3 sticks from the same manufacturer?
HTH to give you some things to check.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot! to both of you

Have you cleared cmos? I do this just before booting after
new ram is installed.
Check for any bios updates.
Check bios for ram settings set to auto or spd.
G'Luck

I have tried installing the new stick of RAM alone, alone in both RAM slots, and mixed with both of my other 256 sticks. Anytime the 1GB stick is installed I get the BIOS error response for no RAM. Shouldn't the system still run with mixed sticks even it the new RAM was bad?

Socrates - I am not sure how to clear the CMOS. Would I just shut power off and then take out the CMOS battery or is there an easier way to clear this? I am working on getting a BIOS update as my current BIOS is 3 years old.

I just found out that if I go through the manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade it's going to cost me $60. Does anybody know a site where I can get free BIOS upgrades?

I just went to the Gateway site and downloaded a BIOS for some motherboard as a test. There was no charge so where did you go for the $60 quote?

What is your exact Gateway 500 model as there are different suffixes listed (MX, GB, GE, etc.)? Also, if you know your motherboard model number, it would be helpful. Search for and download the free CPU-Z utility to find this info if you don't have it. The utility is a "stand alone" program that doesn't require installation. Just unzip it and double click on the cpuz.exe file.

$60 quote.....

mailpup said:
I just went to the Gateway site and downloaded a BIOS for some motherboard as a test. There was no charge so where did you go for the $60 quote?

What is your exact Gateway 500 model as there are different suffixes listed (MX, GB, GE, etc.)? Also, if you know your motherboard model number, it would be helpful. Search for and download the free CPU-Z utility to find this info if you don't have it. The utility is a "stand alone" program that doesn't require installation. Just unzip it and double click on the cpuz.exe file.

I actually went to the manufacturer of my mobo....AMI. I will have to try the Gateway route next. I am not at my computer atm so I will have to check on the exact model when I get home.

computer & mobo models

LonnieMitchell said:
I actually went to the manufacturer of my mobo....AMI. I will have to try the Gateway route next. I am not at my computer atm so I will have to check on the exact model when I get home.

My computer is a Gateway 500X and the motherboard is an Intel Pendelton D845PT

Well, guys the hunt is over. I checked out Gateway's website today on the system specs for my motherboard. While Crucial.com's analysis shows the motherboard should be able to handle 2GB of up to PC3200 RAM, Gateway says it's actually a max of 1GB PC2100 RAM. It would seem I will have to hold onto my PC3200 1GB stick for my next computer. I appreciate you guys helping me out with input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back