My new video card is overheating PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

reze-daniel

I just got a couple of days ago a new video card: Gigabyte Geforce 8600GT.
This video card doesnt have a fan on it, instead it has an advanced passive cooling system (at least i thought it was advanced).

During idle when the card isnt doing anything the temperature is 53C but after around 20 minutes of playing something the temp jumps up to the 80's and im EXTREMELY afraid my card will crash and burn. I'm afraid to stay in the game any longer in fear that my card will burn. I spent good money on this...

Now i dont know what to do... How would i add a fan to cool it? Or maybe i should add 2 fans to the front of the computer to increase airflow? Or should i go old school and open the case of the computer and have a fan blow air in... Im rly paranoid about this and any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanx to all who help BTW would i need a new PSU if were to add a fan?

80 degrees is definately too hot. Sounds like your case temp is too high. You may need adequate aire flow to see your vga temp go down. What is your case fan set up?

Download and run Everest Free:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Look under Computer, sensor; Is your 12v above 12V? Then psu is adequate.

Adding 1 or 2 fans increases noise unless they are controlled. The key here is cool in, hot out. Even 2 low rpm fans will probably take away a lot of the case heat.

That card has proven to run at about that temp under tests and as long as you aren't gonna o/c, should be fine. Add the case fans if you want a little 'insurance'.

:)

Well I think insurance is what he's after, he stated he could run his games. He's just scared, fear of something is why people get "insurance" right? lol

Maybe its worth mentioning that the card comes Overclocked out of the box.
Stock: 540/700 Gigabyte: 600/720

I heard that Gigabyyte is a quality comapny i dont think they would give ppl a card which they will have to eventually buy an external fan for it to work proper...

BTW (again): How would i add a fan? On top of the small PCI-E slot or what?
Thanks all very much again

Depends on your case - you should do some research on cooling and case mods.

Most cases have at least one spot where an additional fan can be attached and many also have removable plates at the front drive bays that also accomodate adding a fan.

ps: 1 to blow air in, 1 to draw air out.

My case already has 2 fans in the back of it. Putting a fan inside the case pointed at the GPU sounds easier than adding 2 fans at the front of the case to increase airflow, i just dont know how its done...

Why would you add 2 fans at the front?

Anyway, you need air flow from cool source to hot exhaust. Although most comps have the psu and one other fan at the back, they should BOTH exhaust otherwise you pulling heated air back into the case.

Adding an intake fan at the front gets air moving through the case.

That card actually uses a passive air draw so it is intaking air at the back (where you are exhausting hot air with your fans) so you need a LOT of room between the back of the comp and any walls.

I cut in a 120 mm fan in my case side pointing at my hard drives and another on the top above the cpu exhausting.

Adding an intake to the front bays is easier and still gets air moving.

:)

edit: example; http://www.modthebox.com/review458_1.shtml

Whoa... that thing looks monstrous.

Would it be possible to add it somehow on top of the motherboard so it will blow directly on the graphics card?

I rly dont mess around with computer parts much so sry if my questions r kind of dumb.

You just need to add more airflow to the case. As mentioned above, you should have an exhaust fan at the back, and one or two intake fans if possible.

sellmesanity said:
I have a solution; return the card for a card with a fan!

I agree. If it is running at 80C, then return it.

Or you could spend maybe $20 and add 80mm Blue LED fans x2 with 2000RPM. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back