My PC crashes randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figaro46

Hi

I am new to this forum, and do not know much about IT related issues. I will try to be as much specific as I could.
My pc crashes randomly since yesterday, mostly while attempting to play any videos or games. Today, after it crashed and restarted I could not start it up again, I had to wait few minutes. It makes strange noise as well. I have an 3 years old IBM Think Pad Re50, XP, 1.80 GHz, 504MB RAM, 599MHz. It is ashame as I work from this PC, so I really need it working well.

It all started after I downloaded and attempted to play Age of empire III demo.
Please help.
Kind Regards

First, as best as you can descibe the kind of noise and where it is coming from.

Second, find your harddrive manufacturer's website and install their diagnostic utility for you harddrive. Run the tests and get back to us with the results.

Third, back up all of your important documents via CD/DVD, etc., A.S.A.P.

First, as best as you can descibe the kind of noise and where it is coming from.

Second, find your harddrive manufacturer's website and install their diagnostic utility for you harddrive. Run the tests and get back to us with the results.

Third, back up all of your important documents via CD/DVD, etc., A.S.A.P.

... I ve run the PC doctor on hardware, and all seems to be working OK.
.... The noise came from the left side, description: accelerating, cracking.... there is no noise today thou...

Have you considered a heat issue?

I am thinking about it, but to exclude soft/drivers issues,I have restored the whole system, as someone mentioned it might be due to drivers/software incompatibilities. So far -3h- it didnt crash, let`s see how it goes.

same problem

it crashed again yesterday: the internet browser started freezing and it computer shut down few minutes later.

Not sure what to do.

You didn't mention what OS you're using, so the following is for Windows XP. Same function is available in Vista, but path is different:

You will be looking for any Error that corresponds to the time of the freeze.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3]. Double click on Error to open>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.
We mayt find additional information that will lead to a resolution.

It has just crashed again - no Errors in there, this time it did not freeze, just went dead.
:(
Yes, OS is XP

mostly while attempting to play any videos or games.

Considerations:
1. Overheating
2. Bad video card
3. Bad memory chips
4. Power supply

From kirock:
Generally when a 3D game crashes a PC, it's either poor PSU or overheating. It can also be HDD or RAM failures but then these would show up randomly anytime.

Post back with your system specs, mobo, CPU, video card, PSU and the amps on 12 and 5V rails. You can get the amp info off the PSU label. See the pic example in my sig LABEL. For your other specs you download CPU-Z
HERE
or system information.

More suggestions on thread here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51435.html

Depending on results, you may need to switch over to the hardware forum.

Sounds like an overheating problem, that really is an old computer, you can get a decent one twice as good as that for less than 200$ off of tigerdirect.com. Mmm... is it on a table? anything underneath it? Try elevating it, maybe with the edge of a book on each side so the bottom is open to air? or wherever the vents are at. And don't forget to do the basics, take it completely apart, and put it back together. *take a pic with a digital cam or something if you won't remember how to put it back together*

Considerations:
1. Overheating
2. Bad video card
3. Bad memory chips
4. Power supply

From kirock:

More suggestions on thread here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51435.html

Depending on results, you may need to switch over to the hardware forum.

Hi
thanks for reply. I have installed CPU-Z, but not sure how to read from the info there, so I Dont really know what to post from there.
I also have PC Wizard, so I can check stuff you `d need.

Sounds like an overheating problem, that really is an old computer, you can get a decent one twice as good as that for less than 200$ off of tigerdirect.com. Mmm... is it on a table? anything underneath it? Try elevating it, maybe with the edge of a book on each side so the bottom is open to air? or wherever the vents are at. And don't forget to do the basics, take it completely apart, and put it back together. *take a pic with a digital cam or something if you won't remember how to put it back together*

Hi
I am not planning to buy the new one at this point, btw - in US seems to be much cheaper than in the EU and UK.
I have downloaded something called SpeedFan and it says:
HD0 44C
Temp1 78C, not sure what`s that to be frank.
ACPI thermal zone: 91C

Sorry, this should help:

How to read CPU-Z
attachment.php

The green box tells us the general type of memory and the total size of the memory. In this case, the system contains 512 MB of DDR2 memory.

The blue box tells us if the system is running in single or dual channel mode. In this case, the system is running in single channel mode.

The red box tells us the frequency (speed) of the memory (CPU-Z will give you the actual clock speed, not the DDR equivalent), the FSB (Front Side Bus) to DRAM ratio, and the actual memory timings that are currently set within the BIOS. In this case, we have 533 Mhz (266MHz x 2) memory running at 4-4-4-12 timings.

The SPD tab is just showing the timings that are pre-programmed into the SPD chip. They DO NOT indicate what the memory is actually running at.

OK.
Memory:
Type: DDR
Size:512MB

Dram Frequency: 133.2MHz
FSB Dram: 3:4
tCL: 2.5 clocks
tRCD: 3 clocks
tRP: 3 clocks
tRAS: 6 clocks

How about doing a System Restore> You have a timeline- I think,. because there is a contradiction: Don't know why I didn't suggest doing this first:

My pc crashes randomly since yesterday
It all started after I downloaded and attempted to play Age of empire III demo.
But you also said this:
mostly while attempting to play any videos or games.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore> check 'restore my system to an earlier date'> next> choose a date in BOLD on the left as close to before the download as is available> next> let the system restore. It will reboot when finished.

You'll want to shut down any open Windows, Programs and email first.
A TIP: create a shortcut for System Restore and drag it into the Quick Launch Toolbar.

Let us know if this stops the crashes.

One other consideration is the RAM. 512MB is minimum to run Windows XP well. If you're a big gamer, it may not be enough to keep the system up.

I am thinking about it, but to exclude soft/drivers issues,I have restored the whole system, as someone mentioned it might be due to drivers/software incompatibilities. So far -3h- it didnt crash, let`s see how it goes.

Hi Bobbye

I did it , 5 days ago, remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back