My Pc is making strange noises...please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezik

Hey this is my first time posting and i am not that well up on Pc's. I was just wondering if you colud help me. I play world of warcraft and the majority of the time when i play my pc makes a noise as if it is the noise when i turn it off. It only seems to be when i move my character on world of warcraft. It can also happen when i open up the Internet I don't know what is happeneing here.

I have scanned with Norton 2006, used O & O defrag and it is still doing the same i would br grateful of this help if anyone knows what to do thankyou. :)

Noises

Yeah it makes a noise like a single beep but not so much a beep that you hear like a droning beep i don't know where it is coming from. But when i hear this noise my pc freezes for about 15 seconds and then within 5 seconds of it working it will keep doing it over and over again. The only way it stops is if i just leave the pc alone for say 5 minutes and then it goes fine.

Power management? Is it attempting to go on standby? Check under power options in control panel and change standby to never and turn off hard disks to never.

If it's not that then it may be the HDD shutting down due to overheating. You say there's a beep? Or is it a click? When it returns to normal is there a whirring sound of the HDD spinning back up?

Back up your data immediately, your hard drive is dying (already dead really).

Yes seriously.

Oh

Sorry how do i backup my data i am know i am useless when it comes to these things, thanks for the help by the way guys. =]

Whatever you want saved burn to a cd or dvd or transfer over the network to another computer. Or to a different hard drive.

You are going to need a new hard drive, and I believe they have tools to clone your existing disk if it is still functioning at that time. If you get lucky it will still be working by the time you get a new drive and that way the disk that comes with your new drive will have software to copy the existing dying drive so you don't have to reinstall Windows and all your programs.

Here is a thread to 100% confirm your drive is toast: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

I give up

Ok sounds fun if i know what to do will have an attempt. will ask my friend he knows a bit more about Pcs.
Ok just to let you know how unlucky i am with Pcs i bought in the first place for £800 then it broke. £700 to repair including new graphics card motherboard and processor...then it broke again £125 to repair and my dad has said if it breaks again he will not be paying for it to be repaired so i am just gonna take your advice and save up pocket money for a new HDD thanks for your help see you in a few months when my next pc breaks :)

Well, sorry to be the bringer of bad news. Check out that link I gave in my last post, there is about a 2% chance or less that I'm wrong. But I've never heard what you described without it being a failing hard drive.

Perhaps with all your PC failures you ought to look at your power source, perhaps you are getting a lot of voltage fluctuations that are killing your components.

Hey also when i woke up this morning it begun to do a CHKDSK ? It has done them in the past and it has never seemed to make any difference i don't know if this has anything to do with it.

chkdsk might be able to keep your remaining data 'safer' but it can't do anything to prevent the comming failure.

sorry for replying to myself but if i was to buy a new hard drive do you know which one do i need ?

Open up your case and look. There are 2 main types, PATA or IDE and SATA. If it is PATA/IDE it will likely have a grey ribbon comming off of it (not the 4 wire power) that goes to the motherboard. If it is SATA it will have a much smaller wire, about a half inch wide, going to the motherboard. Buy the same type as what is already in there, brand doesn't matter, and size (capacity) doesn't matter, just whatever you can afford.

Hey Ok i can see a grey ribbony wire but to be 100% certain i will post an image of my Pc inside and you can tell me which type i need

Picture004.jpg

Your hard drive is SATA, so you'll just need to pick up a drive labeled as such. IDE/PATA is what your DVD drive is.

Edit: SATA drives are fairly new and many drives have 3-5 year warranties. From the Drive Diagnostics link I gave you earlier, download the one for the brand of hard drive you have now. Then take the information it gives you and check out the manufacturer's website, you may be able to get a replacement for free.

Ok, I did download that thing and it failed the tests ? I also took it to a comtuer Peripheral and he said that a memory stick was in the wrong place he moved that round and everything seems to be working fine now

Well thats.... impossible.

Memory sticks can't be in the wrong place, perhaps not seated properly, but unless they are floating around or on the ground in the case they pretty much have to be in the right spot.

Memory would also have nothing to do with the noises you heard.

It wouldn't have failed the hd test.

But if you think all is good and you can now pass the hd diagnostic test, then I guess it is "fixed". Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back