my pc is SO SLOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my year old dell with windows XP home is like something out of the land before time. i just recently dumped the hard drive, and started over again, only to find that it is still just as slow. i don't know what to do! i have tried defrag, removing hotfix q81143...i'm stuck. does anyone out there have any advice???

In what situations is your pc slow?

I mean, is it windows, or also in games.

Your system specifications will also help us help you :)

Try running adaware and spybot, as well as a good antivirus. Sometimes these things can slow down a PC considerably. Also as dani has said, system specs would be nice.

BTW :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

would it suffice to say nearly everything is slow? programs and files take a LONG time opening, and when they do, one horizontal line of them pops up at a time, and closes in the same fashion. i don't really do much with my computer, save word processing, downloading music and the internet. but all of those things are slow. i'm a bit of a technological dim wit, so if you could help me out with the spyware, etc. comments, that would be deeply appreciated!

jam your puter spec is needed.

1. close all programs not needed.
2. go to Run\msconfig\startup and close all programs that arnt needed at startup.
3. How big is your hard drive? how much space you have left?
4. run check disk and tick both options.
5. emtpy temp, history folders.

Well it could be that you don't have enough RAM to run at a good rate. Please post the components that you have in your system and we will be able to dive a little deeper into this situation.

Is it slow from the moment XP is installed, or only after a period of time? When did you notice the slowdown? Has your PC ever worked normally? Please provide as much info as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back