My RAM was showing 4GB in POST, now it shows 3.2GB?

Tommygunn

At the weekend I installed an Asus P5W DH Deluxe after memory problems with P5Q Deluxe. I installed my 4Gb of Corsair RAM and it was showing 4Gb during POST. However, in the past 24hrs it is displaying 3.2Gb with the remaining 800Mb going towards 'Appropriated Memory'.

Why has this suddenly happened? I've never seen it happen on my other P5W DH mobo or the P5Q Deluxe.

Tom.

Are you installing a 32-bit operating system?

A 32-bit operating system will not allow full use of your 4GB memory. If you want to use more than 3.2GB (give or take a few hundred MB), you will need a 64-bit operating system.

Yes, 32bit.
I know what your saying but it said 4096Mb since Saturday then yesterday went to 3200Mb, no other lines of numbers or text during POST. I would definately haver noticed because I was messing.

Tom.

Have you added any new hardware to your system lately? Perhaps your mobo has appropriated memory for your graphics card or some other device. It's rather puzzling that it took 24 hours to do that, though. Is your BIOS updated?

Nope, the only thing that has been changed is the MB. I have updated the BIOS, yes, on Sunday or Monday.

Tom.

Back