NASA's virtual tour of the Moon is a visual masterpiece in 4K

Shawn Knight

Staff member

NASA for the better part of the past decade has been collecting stunning imagery of the Moon’s surface using its Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO). This week, the space agency shared imagery highlighting several interesting lunar terrain features – all in glorious 4K resolution.

This isn’t the first time NASA has distributed content from the LRO. In 2011, NASA published its original Tour of the Moon, a five-minute animation that took viewers on a virtual tour of our nearby satellite. The latest tour uses the same camera path but draws from NASA’s vastly expanded data trove.

Ernie Wright with NASA’s Scientific Visualization Studio notes that some of the features in the video highlight near-side terrain and are familiar to both professional and amateur observers here on Earth while others can only be seen clearly from space. It’s a real visual treat, especially if you’ve got a 4K display to properly take it all in.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

This is fake. All celestial bodies are flat, like the Earth. And the Moon is a hologram.

Of course I'm only joking, but watch this video, this person is so stupid. He has 213k subscribers.
The video had many, many likes, and the comments were full of people who believe his conclusion.

In short he believes that stars are shining through the moon, and that the moon is closer than what "they" tell us, because he zooms into a far away building and the building is as big as the moon when he zooms in. It's fascinating, because otherwise if you saw this guy on the street, he has command of language, can perform things like a camera, so you would think he's normal.

Of course I'm only joking, but watch this video, this person is so stupid. He has 213k subscribers. It's fascinating, because otherwise if you saw this guy on the street, he has command of language, can perform things like a camera, so you would think he's normal.
Well, Kim Lardassian West has 29,000,000 followers, and 30,000,000 "likes". Which doesn't even rise to the level of "junk science", but rather constitutes social buffoonery raised to a hitherto unparalleled level of herd instinct and stupidity. https://www.facebook.com/KimKardashian/

Since it is well known the US moon landings were faked.

The Nazi "Holocaust" never happened.

Josef Stalin, (not his real name either), didn't kill more Russians than Hitler killed Jews, it comes as no surprise that the moon isn't made of cream cheese, because cream cheese isn't transparent. (Although, it might be a bit translucent in very thin slices).

As far as the a**hole you're referring to goes, some people will go to any length for attention, and "belief systems", aren't anywhere near conformal across even similar or same demographic segments of the population.

YouTube's "AI", which compares what you're watching to what might also interest you, at times, does nothing short of lead you after, "The Mad Hatter", and down the rabbit hole.

BTW, the moon really isn't 238,000 miles away from earth. That's a rough average of its orbit's apogee and perigee.

Here, NASA, (if you believe those guys), gives a comprehensive account of the moon's movements for about 5,000 years. https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/moonorbit.html

After all, knowing what a "Draconian Month" is, would be the best pickup line ever, wouldn't it? :cool:

Last edited:
That was awesome. Was hoping they'd zero in on one of the Apollo landings and wasn't disappointed. I wonder why the rover was parked so far away from the lander, though?

Lunar landing deniers crack me up. Seriously, people going out of their way to be uneducated and uninformed.

This is fake. All celestial bodies are flat, like the Earth. And the Moon is a hologram.

Of course I'm only joking, but watch this video, this person is so stupid. He has 213k subscribers.
The video had many, many likes, and the comments were full of people who believe his conclusion.

In short he believes that stars are shining through the moon, and that the moon is closer than what "they" tell us, because he zooms into a far away building and the building is as big as the moon when he zooms in. It's fascinating, because otherwise if you saw this guy on the street, he has command of language, can perform things like a camera, so you would think he's normal.

A lot of stupid people out there. What ever happened to the guy that built his own rocket to prove the earth is flat? I think he won a won a Darwin Award for that one! lol..

A lot of stupid people out there. What ever happened to the guy that built his own rocket to prove the earth is flat? I think he won a won a Darwin Award for that one! lol..
Well, sometimes there is method to madness.

My man is drawing as much attention to himself and his "quirky notions" as he possibly can.

Since the only way you could prove the earth isn't flat, would be to travel to space and view it from above.

Well, this guy is most likely about number one billion, (if that high), on the list of eligibles for a free ride to space.

Consequently, I think he's just doing as much as he possibly can, to improve his chances.

I seriously doubt if that's going to work out for him, but you can\t blame a guy for trying. (Oh what the hell, maybe you can).

I actually think his stunts will worsen his already, "no chance of ever getting to space", odds.

At any rate, he stands a better chance of getting a TV reality show contract, something on the order of, "Jacka**".

I wonder why the rover was parked so far away from the lander, though?

'Cos you're on the moon! Why drive when you can sloowwwllyy hop back?

If I were Neil or Buzz, I'd have never gotten in the rover. "We're on the moon, and you want me to drive? Screw that."

That guy who built his own rocket...he lived, so he didn't win the Darwin Award. Yet.

Back