Need a new fan to Cool HDD bay

joe159540

Hello,
I recently changed which case I use so that I can setup my computer a little easier when I get my SSD next week [March 2nd]. I noticed that my HDD's because there is no a lot of space between each one and I only have one case fan that is at the back. and the HDD bay is at the front of it leaving the HDD to heat up above the temps I like them at and slowly heating the rest of the system up to around 50 degrees celsius. I do not know the exact size of the port of the fan to the front I'd assume its a 80mm fan but I will try and get its dimensions.But the fan must be powered by molex or have a adapter included, etc. I would prefer a fan that has built in fan control like in the arctic cooling range. I don't need something like a high end corsair fan just a fan to cool 3 Hdd's and a SSD.
My budget is up to £15 which is $23. And I dont expect ill need all of that since its only a fan and not a high end one.
Thanks
:-D

What is the make and model of the case? You say it may be 80mm, but it might be 120mm. Most modern cases use 120mm fans as default. We need to know what case it is before anyone can give you opinions.
Also, you may be on a tight budget, but skimping on Fans and getting a generic one might not be a good idea. No, you do not really need a name brand one, but you should really look at the current air movement of your system and determine better ways of cooling the Whole computer. I always suggest to everyone (especially those that I build gaming computers for), that they get a bare minimum of 2 case fans. One that intakes air from the bottom front and another that exhausts top back. You may also what to look at replacing the rear fan to help better exhaust the heat from the computer. If your computer is getting to the 50°C (and it is not doing something demanding - like running a game), you have too much heat building up and not enough being expelled.

I need to measure it I know which I will be doing sometime. The reason my computer is getting this hot is because my computer is on for long periods of time. It will also contribute to the problem that im still using a fairly stock Heatsync and old exalting fan something I've noticed as I've just been around the computer though is there is a circle vent with holes in like the one on the back that has my fan on. it only has 2 screw holes and that would be around my motherboard area when on the right side could that possibly be another place for a fan?
P.S ill get back to the post with the dimensions of the screw holes on the front of the case.

Also my external fan only turns on at around 60 degrees Celsius because of the CPU and how it controls the fan. Im glad of this because it is such a noisy fan on max RPM which is all it knows :-/

What are the specs for your computer? Motherboard / CPU / Video Card / Etc. Might be able to help you keep it more cool if we knew what your trying to keep cool (not just hard drives). If you can take a couple pictures of your computer (inside and out) and post them here, that would give us a better idea of what we are working with.
Each person has their own preferences about how they want their computer to run, but you should want to keep any computer as cool as possible. Waiting for any part of a computer to get to 60°C before a fan kicks on is not a very good idea. The fans should be running almost all the time (if not all the time), just at varying speeds depending on how much rpm's it needs to keep it cool. If you have a fan that is "noisy", then you should look at replacing it with something that can run quieter, but still do the job it is intended for.

Okay my specs are
Mobo: G33MO3
CPU: E8500 45nm 2x 3.16ghz
GPU: EVGA gtx 650
PSU: cx430 non modular
no opticaldrive
1 250Gb HDD Seagate baracuda
2 80Gb HDD in RAID 0 one seagate baracuda one maxtor

I dont know how to change the starting point of the fan turning on but the one time it has been on it has been on max RPM and really load so if I see a good fan for the front of my fan for a good price then ill most likely get another for the rest of my case.

U still have not given us the case, and anyone will need that to know what fan will fit in it.

Does the Case have any kind of numbers or letters on it (maybe a serial number somewhere)? Do you have access to a camera that you can use to upload pictures to this post? If you do, take a couple pictures of the case (Outside Front / Outside Back / Sides / Inside). Some of us on here might be able to tell what the make and model is from the pictures. We are just trying to help you with your situation, so please do not get upset from any of the responses or questions.

Could you mayhap take a picture of your case and/or the interior? Someone here might be able to identify the case by an image alone, or with a picture of the interior we might be able to gauge what size fan the front intake takes. If it is very old case, like more than 7-8 years old, or if it appears to be extremely generic, it's almost for certain the front fan is an 80mm fan. However most cases nowadays have 120mm fans. As for the space on the side, that is a fairly common place that a third fan can be added, and unless it is a full panel fan, often matches the size of the front and/or rear fan mounts in size.
Another thing to consider, what is the space your computer resides like? is it out in the open, or stuffed in a cubby like space? I know you just changed cases, but did you clear the fans and heatsinks of all dust and debris? What is the temperature of the room that the computer runs in? If your computer is in a small enclosed space, it may be starved for fresh air and instead circulates the warm air it just expelled. If the ambient temperature of the room is high, any inadequacies in your cooling system will be exacerbated as well. Dust also acts as an insulator.
Sometimes adding a fan helps, but sometimes it's environmental variables that is causing the most harm, which is why I'm asking. A stock wolfdale processor and a stock GTX 650 should not settle at 50c when idling, even for extended periods of time.

edit: this post had been sitting idle waiting to be submitted for 2 hours, whoops. :)

Does the Case have any kind of numbers or letters on it (maybe a serial number somewhere)? Do you have access to a camera that you can use to upload pictures to this post? If you do, take a couple pictures of the case (Outside Front / Outside Back / Sides / Inside). Some of us on here might be able to tell what the make and model is from the pictures. We are just trying to help you with your situation, so please do not get upset from any of the responses or questions.
Don't worry im not getting upset and I'll be uploading the case pictures and any seriel numbers etc that I can find in about an hour.

The gtx 650 doesnt reach 50 degrees even under benchmarking it usualy rests around 30-35 on a rare occasion on idle or playing a simple game etc

I apologize for mistaking your temperatures for the system temperatures, not just your drive temperature. Also, wow that's an old/super generic case.

Well for one thing I can say for sure is your board, fans, and heatsinks look very clean! One thing you can do to help your drives out is to spread them out a little. If you have four internal 3.5" drive bays plus an external 3.5" drive bay, I would say move the drive on the bottom to the external bay, and then stagger the other two drives in the internal bays, like in slots 2 and 4. The extra space will help keep the drives from heating each other up. If the external 3.5" bay is not an option or you only have four 3.5" bays I would still stagger the bottom drive from the top two. If nothing else it also helps create a channel for the intake air to funnel into the main compartment of the case.

As for your fans, Your front mount looks to be triple tapped, mounting for 80mm, 92mm or 120mm. The two holes you clearly see are the 80mm/92mm holes, but there is a third one partially obstructed in the picture by the HDD cage. There are four sets of these holes, to get to them you would remove the front panel of the case. Your rear mount is the same as the front in terms of mounting options, which you have a 92mm fan currently installed. Your side mount looks like an 80mm mount, but I can't be 100% certain.

If what I see is correct, you have a lot of potential options. =)

Again, assuming I am right about the mounting options (confidence is high), then take your pick of a 120mm fan?

I am not familiar with brick and mortar stores or online sites for the UK besides maybe amazon, so you can start [URL='http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=node%3D430499031&field-keywords=120mm+case+fan']here, and cross search for said item on a store website if you want to buy local. [/URL]
[URL='http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998%208000%20600035565%20600035590&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30'][URL='http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998%208000%20600035565%20600035590&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30']

edit: also remember when installing the fan, the airflow usually has the exposed side of the fan pulling air in, or to rephrase, the side with the fan motor mount is the side where air is being pushed out..[/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
Again, assuming I am right about the mounting options (confidence is high), then take your pick of a 120mm fan?

I am not familiar with brick and mortar stores or online sites for the UK besides maybe amazon, so you can start here, and cross search for said item on a store website if you want to buy local.

edit: also remember when installing the fan, the airflow usually has the exposed side of the fan pulling air in, or to rephrase, the side with the fan motor mount is the side where air is being pushed out..
Going back to the thread title I'd like to know what company's or makes are good fans and prices are generally around the same sort of area. So any good silent ish fans would be good
I'd prefer if it was powered thought peripheral connectors and fan control themselfs

This fan was the fan I was looking at from the start :p. As it controls itself which is good for what I need just to cool the HDD's and SSD and bring new fresh air into my system

Right.... you had specific preferences.... maybe this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-F12-TC-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B0037AQLLM/
+
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Converter-Cable-Female-Adapter/dp/B003OSO0RY/

???

If a fan has a good mix of airflow and low noise, being temperature controlled isn't that important as you can get away with having it run at max speed. Anyone else have suggestions for a fan?
Would you recommend getting two of these fans one for the front and one to replace the one at the back?

It certainly would not hurt, as I'm fairly certain that the fan linked will have more airflow than your fan in the back. Getting enough air in is important enough, but getting it out is just as important.

Depending on the size of the side mount, your old fan might even be able to go there (you'll need another adapter though). If you do get two, you only need one adapter for the two of them since you'll still plug the rear fan directly into the motherboard. :eek:

I meant replace the old fan and if it does fit on the side bracket get a y splitter if not no harm done.But have one of these fans on the front and one on the back.

Yeah that was what I was talking about, putting your old fan on the side if it fits. But yeah replacing the fan in the back is not a bad idea.

Yeah that was what I was talking about, putting your old fan on the side if it fits. But yeah replacing the fan in the back is not a bad idea.
Would replacing the back fan still have the problem that I have at the moment of that it wont turn on. So far the only way ive got my fan to kick in is when I tell it to sleep give it a min or two then reboot it up but thats at max speed, Would this fan still have the same problem?

No? All the 3-pin fan header on the motherboard does is supply power to the fan. You can even put a 4-pin fan into a 3 pin header to get power but obviously the motherboard won't be able to control it's rotation speed.

Whatever is going on sounds like a problem with the current fan itself.

Back