Need a new GPU

Dat1Gamer

Alright guys, I FINALLY built a PC and right now I'm using a AMAZING (not) Radeon X300SE Im on a pretty small budget around 80-90$ and I only have a 300W PSU right now, My specs are
Intel Pentium 4 HT at 3.4GHZ
4GB of 1333 Ram
PTGD1-LA Mobo

For a P4 system with only 300W PSU, your choices are simple. Grab the cheapest card you can find. Chances are the P4 will be a bottleneck, and the 300W PSU limits you to under $80 anyway. My advice would be to look at AMD. Even though I am an nVidia guy, In my opinion nVidia doesn't have price/performance cards at that price point.

For a P4 system with only 300W PSU, your choices are simple. Grab the cheapest card you can find. Chances are the P4 will be a bottleneck, and the 300W PSU limits you to under $80 anyway. My advice would be to look at AMD. Even though I am an nVidia guy, In my opinion nVidia doesn't have price/performance cards at that price point.
Im actually gonna be getting a 500W from a friend now

I would probably suggest an R7 250. Thats about the best I would get on that system because no matter what that processor is going to heavily bottleneck any GPU you get in this day and age.

I would probably suggest an R7 250. Thats about the best I would get on that system because no matter what that processor is going to heavily bottleneck any GPU you get in this day and age.
I seen a guy using a P4 and a Radeon 7970? playing BF4 on all ultra at 10-11fps you think I could play on med/high with a R7 250?

You can get a new card. But as they have stated your processor is to old. It will just bottleneck the card.Plus not give you the effects you want for gameing.

It was free to me so I cant complain
if I gotta put $80 in it
Well if you plan on playing BF4 you can't expect much. However if you want to stick with this machine, grab an R7 250 and you should get a noticeable improvement. Plus in BF4 you can enable Mantle which will make things smoother on that specific game with your P4.

But my advice is to save up like 200 bucks and build an low end APU machine because that would be significantly better in the long run since the P4 has been around since 2005. You could build a decent low budget system for 200 bucks that would run circles around the P4.

Heres a quick example of a 240 dollar rig using most of your old parts (Well this is assuming your HDD is Sata, if not you would need that as well).

MSI A88X Motherboard
Gskill DDR3 1866 4gb 2x2
A10 6790

All for 239, you can even go cheaper than that and still be a heavy improvement. This is just some food for thought if you will.

Last edited:
We're not poking fun at you. We're simply trying to make it clear, where you stand with the P4. And that a single core now days is going to struggle with games. So with a single core there really is no need to purchase a $100+ graphics card (regardless of budget).

According to this page, I wouldn't be skeptical about using the R7 250 with a 300W power supply. I know that AMD recommends a 400W, but in reality the card needs far less. Their recommendations are always calculated with overhead to fit the majority of builds. And using their recommendations are always a good idea. But if you know for certain you system will draw much less, you can judge for yourself.

Back