Need advice on computer speakers!

vanderluzt

Hi!

I have recently got a new system assembled. I am now looking for a good set of computer speakers to go with the system. I use the system to watch a lot of movies as well as listen to music almost every day. So I am looking for something that gives me a decent home theater experience.

I remember reading somewhere that “bigger and heavier speakers almost always sound better than small, lightweight ones”. What about speakers with a wooden base, single/multiple woofers, etc? I am not looking for advice on any particular brand so much as the aspects or factors to be considered while shopping for speakers. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

By the way, my system config is as below:

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Processor on MSI 880GMA-E45 motherboard with 2X2 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate Ed. 32bit.

Good sound?

I was able to buy a Samsung TFT to replace my 20 year old TV. The picture is good as expected but the sound was very poor. So I searched the 'net for advice and in the local shops, finally bought Logitech X210 speakers. Cost in UK £24. I have them on my TV now, just plugged into the headphone socket on the back. The sound quality is SO MUCH improved, just NO COMPARISON to the standard sound output! It is a 2.1 system, that is, a small, 16cm tall speaker each side of the screen, and a subwoofer, about the size of a shoe box, behind the TV, that also has the Amp inside. They (Logitech) also sell a version with 5 speakers, but it's twice the price, but it it may be more suitable for a 'Theatre system' on a PC, if your sound card can output to 5.1.

Back