Need help installing GeForce 5200 PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I go out and get a GeForce 5200 PCI. Problem is, whenever I try to install it, I turn on the computer, but it won't display anything, and it shuts off after about 10-15 seconds. Does anyone know what the problem might be? It's not the power supply, I know that for sure. I've followed all the directions, and I don't know what the problem could be.

ge force 5200pci

Marshal103 said:
Hi guys. I go out and get a GeForce 5200 PCI. Problem is, whenever I try to install it, I turn on the computer, but it won't display anything, and it shuts off after about 10-15 seconds. Does anyone know what the problem might be? It's not the power supply, I know that for sure. I've followed all the directions, and I don't know what the problem could be.

Hey i have the same problem.....
Mine is a K7SEM MOB with celeron 1.8 I think......256K onboard.......
I think the original video driver is screwed up
Getting red gun shooting wild, and mouse tracks when it decides to actually display something...mainly blanks, and will not start properly all the time even safe mode...
Display before windows initiates is just fine........no problem for bios setup etc...
Boot from XP Home CD and install nvidia drivers, but dont "take"

Marshal103 said:
Well you should at least get the window driver to give you some light,i would think that the card you in stalled is not properly seated,Pull it out carefully and push it back in carefully,check both ends of the slot to make sure you see no more conatcts on the card.this time it may have seated,try the 3rd time if you like,I have seen bad boards that dont like me either.

I have a PNY VERTO geforce fx 5200 PCI, 128DDR on winxp and i also had trouble like you are describing. what drivers do you have, like what date etc.
my driver that works is

Provider: NVIDIA
Date: 10/29/2004
Version: 6.6.9.3
Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

and i got it from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93

perhaps this will help...

Are all of you total noobs?

Ok the reason that Marshal is having trouble with his card not displaying at all is because his computer is currently setup to read from his AGP slot by default. If he has onboard video, its looking there and the AGP, not PCI. Why? Because this is a common problem. Put your old video card back in or plug your monitor into your onboard video.

Restart your computer and hold delete button (if you are using a dell, hold f2). This will boot you into the BIOS settings. In the BIOS, you will somewhere be able to change where the computer looks for video from AGP to PCI. Every BIOS is set up differently, so me telling you how mine works won't help.

After you find it and switch it, save & exit. Now plug your monitor into your PCI video card again. This time it should come on and show you loading and windows and stuff. Viola.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back