Need help with PSU issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok recently I purchased a new PC. It is a Gateway DX4710-05 desktop. I like system very much other than the fact that it does not have a graphics card. I have a 8800gtx oc2 which I can install but I have the small problem of the power supply.

Now when I got the PC I already had a new Antec ATX 500w PSU which I was going to use. When I got the PC home and swapped the PSUs I thought all was well until I tried to turn the PC on and it would not do anything. I checked to make sure that the connections were on correctly and nothing happened still. I then attatched the PSU the PC came with and all was good.

My main question is what PSU will I need / will work with this system? I contacted Gateway and asked and they told me that even though the connections fit the Motherboard that I need a BTX PSU for this computer. I thought if they connections were the same and it fit that it would work. If I am wrong please let me know and explain a bit of why so I can gain some knowledge on this subject.

I really want to get this graphics card in this system soon. A 300w PSU will not cut it for me. :\

So if anyone can explain to me a little about the difference between the 2 types of PSUs and why it would not work, and also suggest a PSU for me that would work. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

~Drew~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back