Need help with virtual memory in XP on external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so i recently put a copy of windows xp pro sp3 on my external HDD. every thing runs fine but whenever i turn it on it gives me the "no virtual memory / windows created a paging file...blah blah" message. i have tried to fix it a few times but whatever i set it to goes away after i restart it (which it says to do so that the settings take effect). ive even partitioned off an extended partition to use too but same deal. I have 1GB of RAM in my computer so i don't even really know where this problem came from since it's never been a problem before. can anyone please help me out with this cause i would love to be able to play my games again. thanks

I also had the same problem with Win XP running from an external USB HDD. I found no other solution than disable virtual memory (that got rid of the message). I have 4 GB RAM, and only use the external HDD occasionally, so its no big problem for me.

Windows XP was not made to run from external drives, it won't let you install unless you modify some of the files (I suppose that's how you did the installation?). So my guess is that this is the reason why virtual memory doesn't work.

yea i did have to modify some of the files to install. so disabling the virtual memory will get rid of the message, but will i be able to run all my programs and such?

Frankly, I don't know. But unless you use very memory-hungry applications you should be fine. You might get some memory errors, but the best way to find out is to give it a try.

so i tried that out and it got rid of the message but didn't fix the problem. yea, most of my programs work fine. my games are the ones i really want to work and they are pretty greedy with the memory so it still brought up the not enough memory screen. suprisingly, the changes stuck for that tho. i tried increasing my virtual memory and when i restarted my computer, the changes didn't stay, they had been reset. thanks for the attempt man and i would really appreciate any more suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back