Need some help picking a motherboard and a few other components on my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm trying to build a PC for myself, I got everything i need cept a few things. Money is no object so I dont care what ur sugestions cost, i want the best stuff for my pc. I want 4 gigs of ram, and I need to know the best type of ram and speed and stuff for 4 gigs of it. And a mother board that can support 4 gigs of ram. And i was wondering if SLI technogy is worth it, i want a mother board so i can upgrade it later with SLI if it is worth it. And I was thinking of using a Asus mother board. Wich would be the best mother board of this brand for the pc im getting if i picked this brand? And yes this is for a HIGH end gaming pc hehe.

Also i need to know the best liquid cooling system, or the best setup for one. I want liquid cooling in my PC.

The main things in it are:

Processor - AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-55+ Processor with HyperTransport Technology @ 2.8GHz
Mother Board -
Ram
Graphics Card - NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 Ultra PCI Express 256MB DDR3 with NVIDIA SLI Technology
System Drive - Serial ATA RAID 0 - 800GB (400GB x 2) Hitachi Deskstar 7K400 7,200 RPM w/16MB Cache
Storage Drive - Serial ATA RAID 0 - 800GB (400GB x 2) Hitachi Deskstar 7K400 7,200 RPM w/16MB Cache
Optical Drive 1 - Plextor® PlexWriter Premium 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive
Optical Drive 2 - NEC® ND-3500 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Recorder
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround with Dual Firewire (IEEE® 1394)
Additional Input / Output Controller - SIIG® USB 2.0 5-Port PCI Controller
Graphics Card - NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 Ultra PCI Express 256MB DDR3 with NVIDIA SLI Technology
Floppy Drives - Sony 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
Meter Display - Coolermaster Musketeer LLC-U01 Thermal Sensing Bay
Flash Media Reader/Writer - AFtech P9 11-in-1 USB2.0 Internal/ External Flash Memory Card Reader / Writer + Firewire Port
Fire Wire Card - IEEE-1394 Firewire PCI Card w/Cable + Software
TV Tuner - ViewSonic NextVision 5 High-Resolution TV Tuner w/ Remote Control
Water Coolant System Card - Xoxide PCI Relay Card

If there are better parts for than the ones ive said, please tell me. Also if u need more info, just ask and I will post it.

Thanks to anyone that helps me with this. :D

Byes for now,

Jesse

Hey jesse,

Well I'll say that I own the same NEC DVD burner as you, Great choice, it's a winner. I suggest when you have your PC up & running, that you visit NEC website & D/L the latest Firmware for the NEC DVD burner. The site gives you step by step instructions on how to apply it. Read carefully & apply each step as shown, if done wrong you'll fry your NEC.

As far as Mobo's go, stay away from the one I have in my PC. BIOSTAR KNHA PRO. Stay away from this brand (BIOSTAR) I would suggest. I've had issues trying to install Xp on it, have issues after installing XP, still have issues.

As far as RAM, you need to 1st decide which Mobo brand you going to get, then go to that Mobo's website & search for RAM that's compatible with the Mobo. Since you're going for a HIGH End Gaming PC, I'd suggest RAM with Heat Spreaders. This helps control/reduce the heat generated from RAM in your PC.

hope this helps.

wow...

wow... money is no object, huh??? what's that like? is it all i imagine it to be and more?

seriously, amd fx-55 or one of the new 90nm 64's paired with a dfi or an asus board would be cool. and yeah, sli is worth it, check out december '04 MaximumPC. i've got a gigabyte 6800gt which i love (fast as hell) but you'd probably want to get a 6800ultra or a x800xt-pe. as far as ram goes, just check out some reviews. don't worry about heat-speaders, they're just for show, today's ram doesn't produce much heat.

good luck

Why not 3.6 GHz?

If money is no object and your investing in liquid cooling why not consider a P4 Prescott 775?

What ever CPU you decide on I highly recommend a top end ASUS mobo.

Good luck on your project!!

Post some photos when your done and let us see what you got!

we seem to have overlooked the hard disks here, what with all the cpu talk. consider a u160 or u320 scsi array. maxtor atlas drives and an adaptec controller will yield your highest performance.

Hmm. Cool ideas.

Where can i find more info on this stuff?

u160 or u320 scsi array. maxtor atlas drives and an adaptec controller will yield your highest performance.

to see what's hot go to tomshardware.com
check out the atlas series at maxtor.com
also check out the controllers at adaptec.com

i often work with scsi drives in servers and high end systems and let's just say those price tags are worth it...in performance.

AMD ALL THE WAY

RAM: i like corsair xms, its BA
VGA. im not a huge fan of nvidia but i cant say that 2 6800ultras are gonna be slower than my crappy 9600xt :)

BA system man. and as for liquid cooling i like te zalman reserator

another thing, i've got the audigy 2 zs platinum (not the pro) myself, i picked it only because i'm not gonna be recording anything which requires extreme recording quality and on the plus side, it makes my pc more compact by having the drive internal.

and what monitor will you be using?

I'd def reccomend the Samsung 193p, which i've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back