Need the drivers for a phillips dvd8701 dvd rewriter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv13uk

The dvd rewriter details

The drivers for my phillips dvd8701 dvd+-rewriter have become corrupted (how I dont know) and I can't find later or even old versions anywere. If someone could show me where to get them it would be greatly appreciated.

Driver for Philips DVD 8701

Did you ever locate a site to update the driver? I am having the same problem and can't find a location to download the driver.

DVD drives don't have specific drivers under windows. If it isn't operating correctly, it could be due to filter issues or your ASPI layer could be gerfunkled.

WinXP manual steps to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems;
Warning ! Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system.

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Start, Run, Regedit)
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
7. Restart your computer.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Tyvm

Ditto! Except that it would have taken a call to Dell during the week for warranty service, waiting 5 business days for a replacement part that would not fix the problem and then just decidig to swith DVD burners.

All the while Thing One and Thing Two would not have been able to play Zoo Tycoon and I would have had to wait before sinking into Theif III.

Many of the Philips units sold with Dell, and many other DVD players as well require Firmware updates. These firmware updates are available at the Philips site, and also on the Dell site for your Service Tag.
DVD players wear out very early, based on use. The laser can burn out, or the drive wheel or belt can wear out or slip off.
What are the symptoms you are having with your unit.

CCT
I didn't have the balls to modify the registry as you described, but this is exactly what the dell tech help did and it solved the problem!! The only additional step they did was deleted the DVD drive in the device manager before removing the filters and after removing the filters, hit the "scan for hardware changes" icon in the device manager window/menu. Poof, the drives were there. I guess this is the same as a restart? Thanks- next time I'll grow some cohonnies and do it by myself.

i did what you said and deleted the upper and lower filters...

then i restarted and i still have the same problem...

all i get is code 19

any other ideas on what i can do?

Code 19 is a Windows error, meaning there is no communication with the device.
It means you have a registry error or a hardware error with the device. Hard to tell which, but it means the registry returned an "...unknown result..."
It is more difficult to fix than it is to buy a new one, but there may be firmware fixes at the computer or DVD manufactdurer site.
You might try downloading and running Scanreg.exe or other registry rebuilders and tester.
You might also try typing ...scanreg /restore... (without the dots or quotation marks) at the command prompt.
Usually if it is going to be an easy fix, you remove the device, shut down and reboot, shut down and reboot again and use RegClean (download from www.majorgeeks.com - the one by Juoni Viourno) to remove any references to the registry, then reinstall the optical drive it to re-detect the drive using Add New Hardware Control Panel.

You can also try removing the drive by goint to Control Panel -> System Properties-> Hardware-> Device Manager-> then right click on the CD Rom listing to then click on uninstall.

This will temporarily uninstall the drive. Then you can again reboot, and the computer will detect and recognize each drive as a new drive as Windows boots. It will load the appropriate drives, normally, and re-set the registry.

The next step is to use System Restore to go back to a time when it was working, or reinstall Windows, or install it in Repair Mode (NOT REPAIR CONSOLE MODE) which is what I would do because it is faster in the long run.

If none of these work, your drive is bad. Replace it for less than $30 and go on...

Good luck.

so i just went ahead and bought a new drive

unfortunately the only one dell would support was ANOTHER philips only it was an upgrade

instead of the 8701 i got an 8801

and i have the SAME problem.

so perhaps its not the drive at all?
any thoughts?

thanks

Dell doesn't care. They just won't help if they didn't have it on their original list. On my list tonight, I find Dell Supporting 177 different CD DVD models... desktop.

But I suspect you are right... it is not the drive. The drives either work or they don't... and Dell's only support is to provide firmware updates which usually just make them faster or more responsive to burning softrware.

I find the Philips drives to be superb, with a lower failure rate than any except Plextor, Pioneer, and Yamaha. The bad ones are HLD or HLDS, Sony, Sony-Nec, Asus, Acer, and hp.
Other good ones are LG, Samsung, and Lite-On, but they don't last much longer than a year.

If used for a lot of burning, none of them last more than 7 months...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back