Need video driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom26gr8kids

We purchased a game for my son for Christmas that he hasn't been able to play. After I installed it and he attempted to play it it gave us an error message saying: hardware acceleration needed. Apparently we have a generic video driver and we need to update ours or install a better one. I need one that can hold more memory or something like that. My computer says that I have version 5.01.2600.0000

Does anyone know where I can go to download one (for free) that will update my system? A lot of times I do these things myself, but I don't know much about graphics, video card, etc and don't want to inadvertently damage my computer.

Thanks so much.

What kind of video adapter are you using?
Is it an on board video adapter?
Make and model?
Motherboard model?

All my computer tells me is that the main driver is vga.dll, it doesn't tell me the manufacturer. I know we installed a new graphics card last year and we updated our Windows system in May, so that we could have Service Pack 3. But this is all the information I know.

On the desktop right click => Properties => Settings => post what it says under 'Display'

Display

Under Display all it says is (Default Monitor) on, and then it has the bars where I can adjust the color or screen resolution.

Its difficult to find drivers unless the make and model of the video adapter is known :). Open up your computer and find the make/model of the video adapter. Post back here and someone should be able to find the drivers for you. If you have a on-board adpater (one connected to the motherboard and not on a PCI / PCIe / AGP slot) then find the make/model number of your motherboard.

I'm having the same problem, but it seems that in order to get the right drivers I need to pay for them...

Bah! Humbug!

It may be a bit cryptic but you can get a list of the device ID's for each device on your computer having "problems" (such as a missing driver)
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. See what appears and what's listed as the problem.

The first place to go looking for device drivers for your computer is the system manufacturer web site (e.g. if a Dell, HP, etc.). Click on their Support link and enter your specific model number. (And many system vendors offer a tool where you needn't even do that! But only allow them to run an ActiveX program where they can inspect your computer for you!)

* Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
* Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
* Click Problem Devices. See what appears and what's listed as the problem.

I did as you instructed; and it says:

fail8.jpg

Now the problem is, which driver do I download?

Bah! Humbug!
<snip>
The first place to go looking for device drivers for your computer is the system manufacturer web site (e.g. if a Dell, HP, etc.). Click on their Support link and enter your specific model number. (And many system vendors offer a tool where you needn't even do that! But only allow them to run an ActiveX program where they can inspect your computer for you!)

:eek: Duh!

The better "first place to go looking for device drivers for your computer" is using Kimsland;s thread to start you off and help you find your system vendor's support site!

If you still have a problem finding the right drivers... let us know.. Don't pay for them!

I already know my card's manufacturer. It's an NVIDIA. That doesn't help me at all.
Yes. The card is from NVIDIA.

Who's computer is it? A Dell? HP? Sony? etc. AND did the card come with the computer when you bought it? (am guessing yes, and IF it did, you'll find the system vendor (like Dell, HP, Sony, etc) should list the driver for the card for that model!

If still not certain (or don't know who made your computer) do this:Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Multimedia
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

/* EDIT */
Oh. i just looked and even better! If you go to kimsland's thread, click on icon/liink for NVIDIA drivers, you'll go to NVIDIA web site. then be prompted to allow NVIDIA to scan your computer and THEY should tell you what you need!!

Yep, it's a Dell, and the card was in it when we bought it. I went to the Dell site, entered all of the information and downloaded the correct driver (specifically for the NVIDIA GeForce FX5200) but nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back