Net.exe, Net1.exe and Userlist.exe Help Please!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having big issues with a machine running Win 2k Pro Sp4. The network has reported that this computer is using way too much bandwidth. In task manager three unfamiliar processes are running. First there is Userlist.exe. I've done a Google on this and find it's related to Novell. I don't use Novell here. Also when i try to end the process it says access denied. The other two processes running are net.exe and net1.exe. There is only one iteration of these, but they shut themselves down automatically and restart themselves. You can watch them disappear on the task manager then reappear. I've run Symantec Virus Scan with most recent updates in Safe Mode. Also I've run Ad-aware and Spy-bot. Both of which have the current definitions. These scans turn up nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can't rely on AV and anti-spyware only. Look over your startup programs in Start Menu and msconfig. Also, running a oftware firewall is a good way of controlling what programs get access to the network.

Have you done full scans with the antivirus and Ad-Aware? Sometimes the baddies are not running from files with correct extensions or in the conventional locations.

Thanks for the ideas. I was unable to run msconfig. It said there was a missing file or something to that effect. I did look at the regestry settings and didn't see anything unusual upon startup. But at this point I think I'm just going to format and start over. Thanks again. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back