Netflix adds Daredevil to the list of canceled Marvel shows

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Netflix’s first and arguably best Marvel TV show, Daredevil, has officially been canceled. This marks the third Marvel series to be killed off and comes just two months after the critically acclaimed third season premiered.

Those disappointed by the cancelation of Luke Cage and Iron Fist—some people might have liked it—in October still had Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and The Punisher to satisfy their cravings for all things Marvel. But following The Devil of Hell’s Kitchen’s third outing, we’re not going to see a fourth season—at least not on Netflix.

In a statement to Deadline, Netflix said: “We are tremendously proud of the show’s last and final season and although it’s painful for the fans, we feel it best to close this chapter on a high note. We’re thankful to showrunner Erik Oleson, the show’s writers, stellar crew and incredible cast including Charlie Cox as Daredevil himself, and we’re grateful to the fans who have supported the show over the years. While the series on Netflix has ended, the three existing seasons will remain on the service for years to come, while the Daredevil character will live on in future projects for Marvel.”

The only two remaining Netflix/Marvel productions—The Punisher and Jessica Jones—have both been given new seasons, but judging by what’s happened to the other shows, they may be their last.

Netflix has never been afraid to cancel high-profile original content if it feels the need. Despite being universally praised, Daredevil’s season 3 viewing figures were less than half that of season 2 during its first week, according to analytics firm Jumpshot.

There’s also the strong likelihood that these cancelations are somehow tied to Disney’s upcoming streaming service, Disney+, which is set to arrive late next year. The company is pulling its movies from Netflix’s library and will introduce a Tom Hiddleston-starring Loki series, along with several Star Wars spin-off shows.

Permalink to story.

Daredevil was the cream of the Marvel crop. I'm about halfway through the 3rd season, so can't judge how well it's ended and been tied together, but it's still a shame to hear about.

Couldn't have cared less about Iron Fist though, that was utter garbage!

Daredevil was the cream of the Marvel crop. I'm about halfway through the 3rd season, so can't judge how well it's ended and been tied together, but it's still a shame to hear about.

Couldn't have cared less about Iron Fist though, that was utter garbage!

I think it was all solid. Hell Iron Fist season 2 was great, Luke Cage wasn't bad but Jessica Jones was a huge disappointment (as to be expected).

Here is hoping that Disney is pulling these so beef up their streaming service instead, just like with Star Wars and probably Marvel Blockbusters?

However, that being said. I do worry that Disney will water down the "Netflix Marvel" TV Shows to be PG 13 compliant, assuming they are going to renew these shows.

Renew Daredevil and Punnisher, leave it as is.
Renew Iron Fist and Luke Cage however combine the cast and have them as a team up.
Change Jessica Jones as a supporting actor and only have her for cameos.

Integrate the movies and tv shows together subtlety. They potential to combine blockbusters with the small screen and create a new paradigm. These are comics, comics had TONS of stories. It would most likely be the case of including the TV Show cast showing up in the movies from time to time for a small roll or in B-ROLLs when fight scenes occur, specially for Infinity War.

There is a lot of potential, hopefully they could tap into it. Right now, only Game of Thrones is a global phenomenon when it comes to TV Shows, however if executed well, Marvel could be too.

From what Di$ney said about all Marvel series they want them all back from Netflix as I read it so cancelling them is the easy way out expect the rest on Netflix to be cancelled as well .. and I suspect that Di$ney will announce the best ex Netflix Marvel shows being developed

I like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, the rest were just meh..

I think this is a good move though... 3 good seasons is a lot better than having 8 mediocre to bad seasons.

Remember Agents of Shield? That show got pretty bad after the first 3 seasons.

I like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, the rest were just meh..

I think this is a good move though... 3 good seasons is a lot better than having 8 mediocre to bad seasons.

Remember Agents of Shield? That show got pretty bad after the first 3 seasons.

This is literately the opposite of what most people say. Agents of Shield while on a lower budget has gotten a lot better after Season 2/3. Personally I was not a fan of the whole Ghost Rider season but last season with the space **** going, it was great.

Jessica Jones 1 was only good because of Tenant being a very good villain. Season 2 was terrible and it shows on reviews/ratings.

But obviously #opinionsman

Agents of Shield while on a lower budget has gotten a lot better after Season 2/3. Personally I was not a fan of the whole Ghost Rider season but last season with the space **** going, it was great.
It will not be the same without Phil Coulson and Melinda May though. I hope they was joking about taking them off the series.

I think it was all solid. Hell Iron Fist season 2 was great, Luke Cage wasn't bad but Jessica Jones was a huge disappointment (as to be expected).

I just can't stand the actor who plays Iron Fist. He can't act, which makes the show unwatchable. And personally I really enjoyed JJ, though each to their own!

Renew Daredevil and Punnisher, leave it as is.
Renew Iron Fist and Luke Cage however combine the cast and have them as a team up.
Change Jessica Jones as a supporting actor and only have her for cameos.

Integrate the movies and tv shows together subtlety. They potential to combine blockbusters with the small screen and create a new paradigm.

Did you watch The Defenders, with all of them together? My hopes for it were so high, then it was pretty crap in the end.

The media monopolies like Disney, Comcast and the handful of smaller players are in for a rude awakening. The more they lock their content inside walled gardens the more people will just use free streaming. Literally everyone I know is using Kodi or something like it now. Between cable and the media mongers (one and the same in the case of Comcast) nobody can afford this greedy Balkanization of content.

I've never watched them. Some (Jessica Jones) I've never even heard of. I have the suspicion they're not worth moving out of my cave for. Sorry.

There wasn't anything more they could do after season 3.
All good things must come to an end.

I've never watched them. Some (Jessica Jones) I've never even heard of. I have the suspicion they're not worth moving out of my cave for. Sorry.

It's really good and your missing out big time.
DD is by far the best Netflix Marvel series.

Last edited:
There wasn't anything more they could do after season 3.
All good things must come to an end.

It's a really good and your missing out big time.
DD is by far the best Netflix Marvel series.
thanks for the tip :)

It will not be the same without Phil Coulson and Melinda May though. I hope they was joking about taking them off the series.

For Phil at least its due to maybe conflicting filming schedules with Captain Marvel (and maybe other?).

Didn't know May is going tho.

I just can't stand the actor who plays Iron Fist. He can't act, which makes the show unwatchable. And personally I really enjoyed JJ, though each to their own!

Did you watch The Defenders, with all of them together? My hopes for it were so high, then it was pretty crap in the end.

Yeah he is questionable. They should have stayed little more true to his origin. I don't mind the actor but it's not like John Bernthall and The Punnisher, or even Charlie Cox.

Defends was disappointing imho...

NOOO I loved Daredevil! Season 3 they finally turned it around again... And Charlie Cox seriously does an amazing job as Daredevil.

Personally, I liked all of the series.
From what Di$ney said about all Marvel series they want them all back from Netflix as I read it so cancelling them is the easy way out expect the rest on Netflix to be cancelled as well .. and I suspect that Di$ney will announce the best ex Netflix Marvel shows being developed
That theory gets my vote.
This is literately the opposite of what most people say. Agents of Shield while on a lower budget has gotten a lot better after Season 2/3. Personally I was not a fan of the whole Ghost Rider season but last season with the space **** going, it was great.
IMO, this last season of Agents of Shield IS the best thing going in the Marvel universe right now. AoS can go so much farther than any of the movies because it has the time to tell a detailed story. Kind of like how "The Clone Wars" has had far more time to do some real storytelling in the Star Wars universe - and an aspect that makes me think it is also at the top of what I have seen of the Star Wars universe.
AoS has been renewed for two more seasons, though the next season will not air until July 2019. https://screenrant.com/agents-shield-season-7-renewed/ IMO, if the writers are able to write as well for these next two seasons as they did with this last season, then there will be yet another two seasons of fantastic rides.
This is not a big surprise. What is also not going to be a big surprise is when Disney remakes the series and totally makes it suck.
Agreed. Hopefully, they will keep JJ Abrams in a galaxy far, far away from these shows. IMO, he totally ruined the remade Star Trek Khan story, as well as totally flubbing on "The Force Awakens".

However, that being said. I do worry that Disney will water down the "Netflix Marvel" TV Shows to be PG 13 compliant, assuming they are going to renew these shows.
It wouldn't take that much to make them PG-13 compliant. Disney already clearly controlled the content. The only thing they'd really to do is tone down the violence, which I don't think would be very difficult. There's no nudity on the Netflix Marvel shows and they don't drop f-bombs or c-bombs so they're good to go on the language front as well.
Daredevil was the last Netflix Marvel show I was watching. I watched them all and gave up on the rest. I thought season 2 was by far the best with the inclusion of both Elektra and Punisher. I wouldn't mind if they just had maybe a couple of shows but with more characters in each.

Season 3 of DD was the best season of any Netflix Marvel series.
If Disney picks these shows up, they'd better not change anything.

Cancels seems to be the most popular word today! I only cared about the Iron Fist but the rest I didn't care for. Iron Fist Mr. Marvel dies and shows get cut off the grid.

Disney getting too big for it's chops. With them, they'll take the darkness that was in DD and make it more family friendly. Ugh. First they ruin Star Wars, now this? The MCU is going down the tubes fast. Just watched the original Iron Man last night. My how things were different when Paramount released that movie. Infinity Wars was pure garbage. That is the MCU's "The Last Jedi". Pretty to look at, no substance at all.

Back