Netflix cancels its remaining Marvel superhero series

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: Marvel frames the abandonments as Netflix’s decision although the accuracy of that claim is up for debate. It's probably a safe bet that Disney's upcoming streaming platform had a lot to do with these developments.

Netflix’s five-year relationship with Marvel is coming to an end. On Monday, the streaming giant confirmed to Deadline that its two remaining series from the comic book company have a definitive end date.

The Punisher has been canceled and will not return for a third season, Netflix said. Season two premiered exactly one month ago on January 18. Season three of Jessica Jones will be released on Netflix sometime this year and serve as the series’ final season, we’re told.

If you recall, Daredevil was canned last November. Iron Fist was canceled on October 12, 2018, after two seasons. A week later, Luke Cage also got the axe after two seasons.

Netflix said it was grateful to Marvel for five years and thanked their passionate fans who followed these series from the beginning.

Curiously enough, Marvel included the following line in its statement to Deadline:

“Our network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters… but you know Marvel better than that.”

Many believe the cancellations have more to do with the launch of Disney’s upcoming streaming service due out later this year. It’s possible that we could see the continuation of these series on that platform although it’d probably be a few years before that could legally happen.

Permalink to story.

That qoute from Marvel is a bit of a b**** move isn't it? Saying Netflix doesn't want to carry these shows anymore when Marvel is most likely not letting them?

That qoute from Marvel is a bit of a b**** move isn't it? Saying Netflix doesn't want to carry these shows anymore when Marvel is most likely not letting them?
Its Disney not Marvel thats not letting them keep the shows. Marvel has no say so, Disney owns them.

I agree, this is getting ridiculous now, looks like the only thing I will be "subscribing" too is VPN and Pirate Bay, too many services wanting everyone's money!!
I've been saying this for years and nobody's listened.

For those of you who have "cut the cord{" so to speak, eventually you will be paying more in total for a la cart services, than you were for cable.

Now run along and add up Netflix, Hulu, Disney, CBS on Demand, Amazon Prime, and whatever other streaming services you're subscribed to, and tell me what a "huge bargain" you're getting.

I agree, this is getting ridiculous now, looks like the only thing I will be "subscribing" too is VPN and Pirate Bay, too many services wanting everyone's money!!
I've been saying this for years and nobody's listened.

For those of you who have "cut the cord{" so to speak, eventually you will be paying more in total for a la cart services, than you were for cable.

Now run along and add up Netflix, Hulu, Disney, CBS on Demand, Amazon Prime, and whatever other streaming services you're subscribed to, and tell me what a "huge bargain" you're getting.
I will just keep 1 or 2 and I'll enjoy being able to actually watch the movie without ads running every 15 minutes.

I will just keep 1 or 2 and I'll enjoy being able to actually watch the movie without ads running every 15 minutes.
Well, only you can speak to Romania, but here in the states there's about 5 Redboxes within 2 miles of me. Concert movies that I want, I buy, along with a few TV series box sets.

Going on 30 years ago, I had "Greater Media Cable" along with two premium channels, "The Movie Channel, and "Cinemax". True enough, there weren't any commercials during the movie, but 2 full hours was alloted to each movie.. With run times between 1:30 & 1:45, the rest of the 2 hours was dedicated to bombarding you with the commercials for upcoming movies, most of which I'd already seen on the same channel.

Greater Media kept jacking up the price month upon month, until I think they went bankrupt, and Comcast appeared. Trust me on this, you wouldn't want to touch anything Comcast with someone else's ten foot pole.

I think we had an article here at TechSpot about a survey on, "the most hated companies in America", and Comcast won by a landslide. :eek:

Some people do have common sense, but many, (at least over here) don't. And since we have the latest "smart TVs" ramming streaming services down our throats (*), quite a few are likely to take the bait on a lot more than two.

(*) I have a freakin' Blu-Ray player that as soon as you turn it on, it starts nagging you to connect it to the internet.

Last edited:
Well, only you can speak to Romania, but here in the states there's about 5 Redboxes within 2 miles of me. Concert movies that I want, I buy, along with a few TV series box sets.

Going on 30 years ago, I had "Greater Media Cable" along with two premium channels, "The Movie Channel, and "Cinemax". True enough, there weren't any commercials during the movie, but 2 full hours was alloted to each movie.. With run times between 1:30 & 1:45, the rest of the 2 hours was dedicated to bombarding you with the commercials for upcoming movies, most of which I'd already seen on the same channel.

Greater Media kept jacking up the price month upon month, until I think they went bankrupt, and Comcast appeared. Trust me on this, you wouldn't want to touch anything Comcast with someone else's ten foot pole.

I think we had an article here at TechSpot about a survey on, "the most hated companies in America", and Comcast won by a landslide. :eek:

Some people do have common sense, but many, (at least over here) don't. And since we have the latest "smart TVs" ramming streaming services down our throats (*), quite a few are likely to take the bait on a lot more than two.

(*) I have a freakin' Blu-Ray player that as soon as you turn it on, it starts nagging you to connect it to the internet.
I would put EA above Comcast because it affects me more :D

Shouldn't you be hating on Steam instead? :confused:

I mean everybody hates EA, they must be doing something right... :rolleyes:
I have no problem with Steam. They may not be angels, but they are doing their own thing and didn't destroy my favourite franchises.

All hail our Lord and Saviour Gaben!

Ithe only thing I will be "subscribing" too is VPN and Pirate Bay, too many services wanting everyone's money!!

Watch out for flying trojan horses, rootkit infections, malware, adware, ****-ware traps at pirate bay.

Only if you're an ***** that lacks the basic knowledge on protecting yourself when browsing such sites and downloading such files. It doesn't take a genius to avoid any malware.

The thing is, Marvel's comment is technically correct, they just conveniently left out the context that Marvel/Disney's actions have forced Netflix's hand. Netflix still had a contract with Marvel which could have been continued for these shows, but there was no logical or business reason to do so. When Disney decided to launch their own competing service, and put all future Disney/Marvel IP exclusive to their service, and eventually pull all other Disney/Marvel content from Netflix, there was no reason for Netflix to continue. I mean, at best they would be producing Marvel content that they don't really have ownership of, with no other Marvel content for their subscribers to view, so they would basically just be advertising for Disney+ at that point. Why do the work for a competing service?

Ah Captain, such a cut and dry viewpoint. :scream::laughing:

I have Netflix and base Hulu - which is coming down in price by $2 next month - and my wife and I will not go any further as far as streaming services go. We have OTA that gets us most of the things we watch, then adding on Netflix and Hulu and there is just far too much for us to watch as it is.

Then there is the local library - which has DVD/BR/UHD-BR releases of various stuff, for instance, previous seasons of shows only on CBS All Access, all the new Doctor Who series, all kinds of movies, and on and on.

It's easy to say that those who have cut the cord, like myself, are going to run out and subscribe to every single streaming service there is. The reality for myself is that I will not run out and grab every streaming service. Disney can go take a :poop: for themselves.

Personally, I am getting rather sick of many of the Marvel movies right now as to me, they have little depth. Seeing Wilson Fisk once was good, twice, well that was OK but Punisher stole the show in that one, but Wilson Fisk for the third time in Daredevil - that was just boring. Not only that, but how many epic battles does it take to screw in a light bulb?

For me, Agents of Shield and Cloak and Dagger are probably the best series in the Marvel universe ATM.

Speaking for myself, I cut the cord because of the asinine price Dish was charging when I cut. I will never go back. Even if I cut streaming, OTA and the library would still be way more than we can watch.

Not everyone is mesmerized by these media services - especially people who cut the cord because the value of what they were getting for the price was not there.

In fact, I am betting that with the plethora of streaming services offering exclusive content, BBC, CBS, Hulu, Netflix, DC, now Disney and who knows what might come tomorrow, that they are all in for a rude awakening. To streaming execs, especially the ones joining later in the game like CBS, DC, BBC, and Disney, streaming is the latest fad that has their eyes swamped with "FAD" and "EXCLUSIVE CONTENT" that they think they are going to take to the bank. I'm betting their plans for global domination will fail because they are not tuned into the real reasons that people are cord cutting and this exclusivity :poop: will stifle their appeal.

I don't have Netflix, but wanted to watch the DD & Punisher shows. Is there another way to watch them, such as renting or buying them on DVD?

I don't have Netflix, but wanted to watch the DD & Punisher shows. Is there another way to watch them, such as renting or buying them on DVD?
Looks like DD S1 and S2 are so far. I don't see Punisher yet. Try your local library.

Thanks, but did you mean DD is available on DVD now or it can be streamed from another provider?
It is available now on DVD - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNZHV3M/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20 - This is S1 & 2 Blu-ray

This is season 2 DVD - Region 1 (US) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744Q76DT/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20
This is season 1 DVD - Region 2 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQ0C2AC/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20 You will either need a region free player for this, or search to find out how to make your player region free - if possible.

People keep hating on netflix or complaining about price but its just silly. 10-12$ a month on netflix, 10-12 on hulu (no commercials tier) and amazon prime (which I consider free since we pay for it as a business expense for the unlimited cloud photo storage and the shipping). So for 25$ a month I get more stuff than I can possibly watch. Much of it excellent (like the expanse).

Contrast that with the cable or satellite networks at 60-100$ or the new "live" streaming stuff at 40$+ and all stuffed with commercials.

Disney will likely do well with their service because of family's buying it. But I think the other major networks are going to discover there is much less pie available than they think there is.

Back