Netflix is eliminating online user reviews

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Netflix simplified its rating system early last year, shifting from a five-star feedback method to a more streamlined thumbs up or thumbs down system. The company said that in testing, it saw a 200 percent increase in ratings activity when using thumbs. Soon, feedback will be even more limited.

Netflix is doing away with a desktop-only feature that allows users to read and write reviews on TV shows and movies streamed on the platform.

From July 30, subscribers will no longer be able to post feedback in written form. Existing reviews will be pulled by mid-August. A Netflix spokesperson told CNET that they have notified members who have used the feature recently.

A spokesperson for Netflix cited declining usage as the primary reason for moving away from written reviews.

Frankly, I’m surprised the written reviews have persisted for as long as they have considering the feature offers few – if any – benefits.

Netflix has all the detailed analytics it needs so there’s really no upside there. Some will argue that reviews boost user engagement and could attract new eyeballs, but really, when was the last time you decided to pick up a new series based solely on user reviews? Odds are, social media, advertising, personalized recommendations and word-of-mouth are what attracted you to new content.

What’s more, public forums are a breeding ground for trolls who like to post spoilers, push agendas or simply stir the pot. Imagine the amount of community management / moderation needed to keep a platform with 125 million accounts from becoming a toxic cesspool.

Permalink to story.

I've discovered that Netflix ratings and reviews are worthless. There must be a huge group of very bored people who give grossly inflated movie/tv show reviews and ratings on Netflix.

I'll see shows that routinely have 4 1/2 to 5 star ratings on Netflix, but when I go to Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, the show will have anywhere from a 50% to low 70% rating.

There has been more than one time I've started a Netflix show based on its rating, only to get 30 minutes into and say to myself or girlfriend, "this show is garbage." Then look it up on other rating sites and see that it's a dog.

I've discovered that Netflix ratings and reviews are worthless. There must be a huge group of very bored people who give grossly inflated movie/tv show reviews and ratings on Netflix.

I'll see shows that routinely have 4 1/2 to 5 star ratings on Netflix, but when I go to Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, the show will have anywhere from a 50% to low 70% rating.

There has been more than one time I've started a Netflix show based on its rating, only to get 30 minutes into and say to myself or girlfriend, "this show is garbage." Then look it up on other rating sites and see that it's a dog.
Found exactly the same thing. The Netflix rating guarentees nothing in terms of quality of the rated content.

Of course, if you LIKE seeing pigs sporting lipstick just keep watching ..... now it will be a COMPLETE surprise!

Netflix scores are not only user scores, they are what they think you will like. They made this change years ago, it used to be ratings were user ratings. The change really made me mad and rendered their ratings system useless in my opinion. They actually used to have average user rating and what they have now.

Quote: The combined ratings of all Netflix members who have similar tastes to you.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/9898

Now in Netflix official page above they say what I am talking about affects reccomedations. But it also affects the ratings you see. What I see and you see will be different.

Quote: When you’re looking at movie’s splash page, for example, the corresponding rating you see isn’t a running average of how all Netflix users ranked the film. Rather, the ranking represents what users who have similar entertainment tastes as you thought of the movie. As a result, it’s entirely possible for the same movie to display two different ratings for two different accounts.

https://bgr.com/2016/02/10/netflix-ratings-what-they-mean-how-they-work/

I dropped NETFLIX a while ago and very happy. Are there even any trailers for NETFLIX? Usually I go on YOUTUBE to watch trailers and read reviews.

Back