Netflix's latest Adam Sandler movie breaks viewing records

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Adam Sandler movies, especially his more recent ones, can be real ‘love it or hate it’ affairs, but it seems the actor is bringing in the viewers for Netflix. His latest project to appear on the streaming service, the Jennifer Aniston-starring 'Murder Mystery,' has just had the biggest opening weekend ever for a Netflix original movie, having been watched by around 30.9 million accounts in its first 3 days.

Back in 2015, Netflix signed Sandler to an exclusive four-movie deal. And while one of these, The Ridiculous Six, was savaged by reviewers (Rotten Tomatoes critics score: 0 percent), it still became the most-watched new release in Netflix history back in 2016, which is probably why the company signed the actor up for another four movies in 2017—the same year it revealed that Netflix customers had spent more than half a billion hours streaming Adam Sandler titles.

Netflix said it counts someone as viewing a program if they watch at least 70 percent of that title. According to a tweet, which Netflix confirmed, Murder Mystery was viewed by 13,374,914 accounts in the US and Canada, and 17,494,949 more worldwide.

Murder Mystery is one of Sandler’s better-reviewed films of late. He stars as a cop who gets caught up in a murder investigation while on a belated honeymoon with his hairdresser wife, played by Aniston.

Netflix hadn’t been as forthcoming about its viewing figures until recently. Some of its biggest hits include Bird Box, which has been watched by over 80 million people; Triple Frontier, which attracted 52 million viewers in its first month of release, and The Umbrella Academy, which brought 45 million views in its first four weeks.

Permalink to story.

Rotten Tomatoes has this "Murder Mystery" at 45%.

I don't get why people waste their precious recreation time watching obviously bad shows. And in the last 20 years, anything Sandler has been awful. The last good thing he did was "The Wedding Singer," and even that was so-so. There is so much quality streaming material available, it would take years to catch it all. But people would rather watch garbage.

It's a mystery...

I'm one of those accounts and I must say I quite enjoyed it. It's not to be taken too seriously, but it's fun and the chemistry between them is great.

Thank the lucky stars Netflix has something for everyone. Neither my wife nor I would touch anything Adam Sandler with 1,000-foot pole.

We watched Bird Box, and we both thought it was rather meh.

Some of this might have to do with Sandler's old fashioned style of being family friendly. I usually put some faith on Rotten Tomatoes scores. But The Cobbler, which was slow paced, but I thought was very well done, only got 36%. I'll probably try the new one at some point in time.

I am firmly in that category of Sandler's movies being polarizing - I usually either love them or loathe them. Emphasis feels like it has been more on the "loathe" side lately, but sometimes they surprise me. My wife talked me into watching this new one over the weekend, and it was actually a pretty cute setup. Part Clue, part Murder on the Orient Express, not a lot of Sandler shtick (which is often overdone in his films). They tout it as a Sandler movie, but to me it was more of an Aniston movie, if that makes any sense.

I used to watch netflix but seldom found anything to my liking but still, whats garbage to one is enjoyable to others.

I love listening to people trash his movies when we all know theyre secretly watching them like its a bad thing, netflix isnt dumb, they gave him all that money for a reason.

I've liked all of his movies, I dont get why people try and act so high-class all the time, its a movie so just enjoy it.

Stop using Rotten Tomatoes as a reference.
All that shows you is what is trending/popular, the actual scores, usually, are completely ridiculous, biased and wrote by people who think their opinion on a movie is some professional exploit...their not.
Their opinions don't matter anymore then my mothers friends cousins lovers divorced brother in laws father.
USER rating are in the 80's/90's for Godzilla: King of the Monsters and where folks don't give a sh!t about that RT nonsense, or overseas, it brought in 130 million opening weekend. I saw the movie last week and it was the most fun I've had in a theater in years, I enjoyed it more then End Game.

RT is a compilation of dozens of professional and thousands of user reviews from around the world. So you're getting a good reflection of just how good or bad a show is. I get that it's not always accurate - especially the user reviews when many come from 13-year-old fanbois/girls who have infatuation issues. But 9 times out of 10, I find RT and IMDb to reflect accurate representations of just how bad or good a show is, and whether I should invest my time and money into it.

I also get that there are niche shows - like Godzilla movies - that are rarely going to get good professional reviews because they don't constitute "fine art." Those I ignore.

If you have any suggestions other than "RT is crap," for me to get a gauge on whether I should watch a movie or not, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Wedding Singer - 68%
Happy Gilmore - 61%
Billy Madison - 40%

The "Audience scores" are all much, much higher for all of these and to me, reflect a more accurate estimate of my enjoyment.

I love listening to people trash his movies when we all know theyre secretly watching them like its a bad thing, netflix isnt dumb, they gave him all that money for a reason.

I've liked all of his movies, I dont get why people try and act so high-class all the time, its a movie so just enjoy it.
And I love listening to people who think they know what others are watching when they have no clue.

Netflix has statistics on what all of their viewers watch. You can bet the only reason that they gave him so much money is that they thought that there are enough Netflix viewers out there that watch content that is similar enough to what sandler does that those same viewers would watch anything they throw in front of them that has sandler's name attached to it.

But 9 times out of 10, I find RT and IMDb to reflect accurate representations of just how bad or good a show is, and whether I should invest my time and money into it..
Home Alone, Forrest Gump, The First Transformers movie, Top Gun, Dead Mans Chest, and countless others, all inaccurate.
Forrest Gump is one of the best films made ever period.
The Fifth Element is one of the best SCi-Fi movies ever made and its a 90% + movie period.
There is nothing professional about an opinion on a movie, and being a professional writer doesn't give anyone's opinion more or less substance then any other person. It's a site that shows trends. There is some accuracy to the reviews, but not much.

(And everyone be nice to one another and no shouting or using caps, we don't want anyone to get offended as we clean up this site. Next we take away bold font and underline's if used aggressively, or atleast, if we think it is. Freedom of speech will not be tolerated on a tech forum, only angels and heavenly thoughts)

Last edited:
But 9 times out of 10, I find RT and IMDb to reflect accurate representations of just how bad or good a show is, and whether I should invest my time and money into it..
Home Alone, Forrest Gump, The First Transformers movie, Top Gun, Dead Mans Chest, and countless others, all inaccurate.
The Fifth Element is one of the best SCi-Fi movies ever made and its a 90% + movie period.

There is nothing professional about an opinion on a movie, and being a professional writer doesn't give anyone's opinion more or less substance then any other person. It's a site that shows trends. There is some accuracy to the reviews, but not much.
In your opinion...;)

Netflix has statistics on what all of their viewers watch. You can bet the only reason that they gave him so much money is that they thought that there are enough Netflix viewers out there that watch content that is similar enough to what sandler does that those same viewers would watch anything they throw in front of them that has sandler's name attached to it.
Or maybe Adam Sandler isn't anywhere near as popular with todays youth and that reflects with the 'opinions' and 'scores' of today but in reality the movie is entertaining and well done and the low score is more of a reflection of what's trending and popular these days... and you should go watch it for yourself instead of reading some artificial generational trend that isn't actually a professional entity, anymore then someone reviewing an art piece or an opinion on the look of a new vehicle.
In my opinion. ;)

Whats not my opinion is, if RT came out when Top Gun, Home Alone, Armageddon and The Fifth Element released, all of those movies would have received MUCH higher scores, period, no question. Well, why is that?
The answer: RT, for the most part is a generational thing based on whats popular and what people like, RT a collection of current opinions that reflect current trends and popularity. I am not saying there isn't truth to some of it, they got 'The Spirit' right. Jesus I didn't get 10 minutes into that movie and threw my popcorn at the TV.

Last edited:

I don't get why people waste their precious recreation time watching obviously bad shows. And in the last 20 years, anything Sandler has been awful. The last good thing he did was "The Wedding Singer," and even that was so-so. There is so much quality streaming material available, it would take years to catch it all. But people would rather watch garbage.

It's a mystery...

Men in black international got 24% and I can't see why it got that low score. I liked the movie.

Or maybe Adam Sandler isn't anywhere near as popular with todays youth and that reflects with the 'opinions' and 'scores' of today but in reality the movie is entertaining and well done and the low score is more of a reflection of what's trending and popular these days... and you should go watch it for yourself instead of reading some artificial generational trend that isn't actually a professional entity, anymore then someone reviewing an art piece or an opinion on the look of a new vehicle.
In my opinion. ;)
While you may be correct about the younger generation, personally, I won't waste my time watching him; in fact, I won't even waste my time reading reviews of his movies. In my opinion, based on what I have seen of him, he is pedantic and appeals to those who love the slam and call it humor.

I am not one to follow trends. I might consider something from sandler if it were similar to The Martian, Interstellar, Arrival, or even Man About Town https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420757/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1 but somehow, I don't see sandler rising to that level.

I thought The longest yard 2005 and 50 first dates 2004 were great. While only getting a 41%\45% critic score and 62%\65% audience score. Everything after that bleh. Comedies seem to have a hard time getting high scores on RT\IMBd. I favor audience scores over critic scores. No it's not perfect, I thought The Boss was really funny.

Torrents can be a good indicator on a show\movies quality. Take the age of the movie\show and mix it in with the amount of seeder\leecher you see. If and or how many different high quality HD copies are available.

Not really a fan, but if you are, more power to ya.
I don't use Netflix, because I can't see paying for multiple streaming services.
I use Amazon, by FAR not the best, but it's "free" because I have Amazon Prime.

That's the thing about opinions, everyone's are different...
You see I agree with most of what you said and I love Fifth Element, but I thought Forrest Gump was sentimental drivel...

Last edited:
RT is a compilation of dozens of professional and thousands of user reviews from around the world. So you're getting a good reflection of just how good or bad a show is. I get that it's not always accurate - especially the user reviews when many come from 13-year-old fanbois/girls who have infatuation issues. But 9 times out of 10, I find RT and IMDb to reflect accurate representations of just how bad or good a show is, and whether I should invest my time and money into it.

I also get that there are niche shows - like Godzilla movies - that are rarely going to get good professional reviews because they don't constitute "fine art." Those I ignore.

If you have any suggestions other than "RT is crap," for me to get a gauge on whether I should watch a movie or not, I'm all ears.
The problem is that all those professionals on RT know little about what a normal viewer enjoys. As has been proven countless times in recent years, the RT "professionals" are doing little more than ticking boxes. For many, the lower the critics score is on RT, the more likely you will enjoy the film / TV show.
Therefore I would suggest that you continue to use RT but gauge it instead on the audience score for any movies/shows you might like. Because the RT critics are mostly useless.
Godzilla (2019): Critics=40%. Audience=83%.
Alita (2019): Critics=60%. Audience=94%.
Doctor Who Season 11: Critics=92%. Audience=21%. This was probably what destroyed RT's reputation, along with:
Captain Marvel: Critics=78%. Audience=55%. When this movie was first released, the critics gave it 92% and all hell broke loose, resulting in RT deleting the lowest 50,000 audience scores.

I dropped NETFLIX due from their greed and disgusting tactics. I will check this out on the CINEMA app on my FIRESTICK or install BLUESTACKS on my WINDOWS PC then install CINEMA APP then watch this for Free.

That's the thing about opinions, everyone's are different...
You see I agree with most of what you said and I love Fifth Element, but I thought Forrest Gump was sentimental drivel...
Rate the movie not the politics. The movie itself was good. Tom Hanks, one of the best actors ever gave a great performance.
Apollo 13, also one of the best movies ever made and again Tom Hanks delivers a great performance. He also had a great cast too.

Training Day was a great movie too. One Denzel deserved to win. I also thought Ethan Hawk should have won best supporting actor.

Doctor Who Season 11: Critics=92%. Audience=21%.
I haven't seen it yet, but plan on getting the series from my library. As a long, long, long time DW fan, I have to say that these kind of ratings are typical audience ratings for a "new doctor." Many people just don't adjust to the new doctor. For me, it is part of the story. Honestly, I wonder what I will think. I have sometimes hated Chibnall's work and sometimes loved it.

Doctor Who Season 11: Critics=92%. Audience=21%.
I haven't seen it yet, but plan on getting the series from my library. As a long, long, long time DW fan, I have to say that these kind of ratings are typical audience ratings for a "new doctor." Many people just don't adjust to the new doctor. For me, it is part of the story. Honestly, I wonder what I will think. I have sometimes hated Chibnall's work and sometimes loved it.
Trust me, those aren't your "typical" ratings. If you want to stay a DW fan you should just watch the season in fast forward or just skip it. :D There's no overarching storyline anyway.

Watched this movie last night with the Girlfriend. It's alright, nothing special, Adam Sandler is the worst bit about it though, Jennifer was more the main character than he was, which is a good thing as the cringe from him was just too much.

I thought I'd be the same. I've been watching DW since the new series only (Season 1 upwards) and I really struggled to get used to Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi but I eventually liked them. I was willing to give Jodie Whittaker a solid chance, especially after the great Missy character, but it just hasn't clicked for me. And it's not even her - it's the new writers. The stories are just weak and the series-spanning baddy is laughable. And 3 companions. Three!! The Doctor barely gets any character development. There are some half-decent stories but I wish it was just 1 companion and to spend more time developing our first female Doctor. And it needs a lot more sci-fi instead of exploring feelings and discrimination. YMMV but I'd give this season 40% and I don't blame Jodie Whittaker for that.

Back