Netgear EVG2000 Router problems

firz3h

Hi guys ive got a tricky one here, Ive recently run a cat6 straight through cable to a separate dwelling from the main house to my EVG2000 Router modem. the Cat6 cable is connected to the main house at another EVG2000 router modem. The problem I am facing is My laptop(s) and computers can connect wirelessly with internet access fine but my galaxy S4 phones, iphone, ipads and xbox's connect to the new router in separate dwelling but have no internet access how ever they work perfectly through the main house's router fine. I've tried power cycling both modems, tried different ports. I have not tried to forward any ports as of yet as I have little experience in doing so. Hope you guys can help cheers

Hey firz3h. I think I follow you, correct me if I'm wrong. Your internet connection comes into the main house and goes to the EVG2000 wireless modem/router combo. You ran a line from this unit to the separate dwelling and it connects to a second EVG2000 unit, is that so?
Do you need both wired and wireless capability at the separate dwelling or just wireless capability?
If both are needed, a wireless router should be able to have it's DHCP function turned off so that it acts as a switch which will enable you to connect 3 devices by Ethernet. On the fourth LAN jack, I would connect a WAP (Wireless Access Point) which should give you a wireless signal . It might be easier to just get a 4 port switch instead of trying to disable the DHCP function of the second router. DHCP assigns IP addresses to the devices that try to connect, and using 2 on the network will cause issues. I think this would work, correct me if I'm wrong folks.

Back